1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
!. for holster with thumb break strap, would you place between hammer & firing pin or over grip safty? pro/ con...for 1911s
2. any recomendations for belt/fanny/butt-pack/bag for compact SA?

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I always use the thumb break strap as an extra safety on a cocked and locked 1911. This way I'm sure if the thumb safety got knocked off, the gun would'nt have a accidental discharge.

No recommendation for fanny pack. The ones I've seen say "I got a gun" all over them.

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
If you want to use a thumb break holster with a 1911, the strap goes between the hammer and the firing pin. By placing the strap over the grip safety, you will, in most cases, cause the GS to disengage. Placing the strap between the hammer and firing pin offers aditional safety in the case that everything fails at the same time and the hammer fell.

FWIW

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
MOLON LABE
Leonidas c 480 BC

[This message has been edited by Jim V (edited 07-01-2001).]

·
In Memoriam
683 Posts
Placing the safety strap across the grip safety will just about guarantee that when you try to get a proper firing grip on the holstered pistol for a fast presentation (especially if you REALLY need it!) you will trap the strap between the gun and your hand; sorta screws up a fast draw, doncha know?

If a thumb break is used, it should be designed to cross over the rear of the slide, between the hammer and the firing pin.

------------------
Roger Shambaugh
Ottawa, Kansas

·
Registered
50 Posts
For the holsters I have that have a thumb break strap, I agree with the other posts: put the strap between the hammer and firing pin on the cocked and locked 1911.

For a fanny/butt-pack, I have one made by Galco that I carry my Kimber Custom Target in on occasion. Because it is a full size gun, the pack does look a bit larger than most fanny packs, but I have seen fanny packs that large before. It does not advertise the fact that it is used to carry a gun as bad as some of the others I have seen. When wearing mine, no one has given it a second glance or ever asked about it.

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
If the fanny pack seems to yell "gun" for some reason, buy a sports team's logo patch or the like and sew it on the pack.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
MOLON LABE
Leonidas c 480 BC

·
Registered
285 Posts
Ditto on KSLAWMANS answer !

1 - 7 of 7 Posts