1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a new one to me. I just finished cleaning my Colt 1991A1. When I reassembled it the hammer would not fall. I have never had this happen to me in all of the 1911's that I have owned and in all the times that I have had this pistol apart. It was together correctly but the hammer would just not fall when I pulled the trigger. I took the piece apart and I cleaned a bit more, depressed the plunger for the series 80 parts, put it back together and then, voila, it worked again! What could be the problem?

Also, the thumb safety is getting a bit loose. When the hammer is down it can be pushed up a bit and the plunger spring does not push it back in to position. This results in the slide not being able to be retracted. No problem if cocked and locked but you see where this could present a problem. Any suggestions or answers?

Thanks for looking!

------------------
Simian

NRA Life Member

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Sounds like your sear spring got hung up on the sear during assembly and wedged the sear into the hammer notches so it couldn't move.

As for your sloppy safety, you could try replacing the plunger tube spring assy. It's rare that they fail or wear out, but you never know. Also, you may want to add a small dimple to the safety where the safety plunger touches it when in the off position. This may help secure the safety lever a little better.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could the sear spring get jammed up like that if the piece were only field stripped? Also the hammer could be brought down when the slide was removed but not when assembled. Thanks!

------------------
Simian

NRA Life Member

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Something definitely got jammed up! No, the sear spring shouldn't have moved if you only field stripped it. You may have somehow dis-lodged the disconnector/sear assy. when you slid the slide back on. Doubtful.

I think you may have got the series 80 plunger levers out of alignment so that they jammed together, preventing the trigger from dropping the hammer. At least it's workin' now.

[This message has been edited by shane45-1911 (edited 08-10-2001).]

·
Registered
69 Posts
Originally posted by shane45-1911:
Something definitely got jammed up! No, the sear spring shouldn't have moved if you only field stripped it. You may have somehow dis-lodged the disconnector/sear assy. when you slid the slide back on. Doubtful.

I think you may have got the series 80 plunger levers out of alignment so that they jammed together, preventing the trigger from dropping the hammer. At least it's workin' now.
[This message has been edited by shane45-1911 (edited 08-10-2001).]
Shane, I don't see how it's possible to re-assemble the Series 80 plunger parts in such as manner that they could stop the hammer from falling. The lever that sits on the pin just moves up and down. If it's put on incorrectly, all that happens is that the plunger isn't depressed when the trigger is pulled. The hammer still falls, but the firing pin doesn't move. If the plunger is somehow screwed up, the hammer will still fall when the triggered is pulled (although the firing pin may not move).

Phil

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Originally posted by pxchang0:
Shane, I don't see how it's possible to re-assemble the Series 80 plunger parts in such as manner that they could stop the hammer from falling. Phil
I was assuming in the original post that the trigger could NOT be pulled either. If the upper and lower 80 series plunger levers were jammed together, than that would stop the trigger from moving back (or at least back far enough to disengage sear from hammer) and the hammer would not fall.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Correct, the trigger could not be moved. It was locked up good and tight.

------------------
Simian

NRA Life Member

1 - 7 of 7 Posts