1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...some bullets, do I have to resize the brass before using it again? If so, do I remove the decapping pin from the die? It's for .40 cal

Thanks

Mark

·
Registered
270 Posts
Yes you should resize. After having read numerous warnings against decapping a live primer I would pull the decapping pin.

Was following your other thread. Did your first loads not cycle or did you run into other problems?

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just wanted to add a little more powder

·
Banned
12,386 Posts
Good question. I like to make good use of live primers
so I remove decapping pin and resize. I don't waste them.
But I definitely resize, always.

Why? Because the brass gets firm grip on the bullet
from it's sizing operation. Case mouth expansion and
crimp are just for starting the bullet. The bullet
is held by case tension. It's too easy to remove
the pin and resize, then you know you're good.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Yes, as Nick and others have said, you are going to want all the neck tension you can get for the re-seat of the bullets.

So pull the decap rod and re-size the primed cases, flare, charge, re-seat and crimp

Good Luck :)

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
After having read numerous warnings against decapping a live primer I would pull the decapping pin.
I have never had any problem decapping live primers, even crimped military primers.

I would, as suggested above, remove the deprimming pin so you can resize the case without trashing the good primer. The case certainly does need to be resized.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Odd, I've just re-belled the cases in the past & never had a problem (9mm).
10-4, I believe the "theme" of most of the advice given is from the Preferred and or Ideal perspective, rather than the “what will work” perspective.
Which he obviously can try and then decide if he wants to choose that method.

If he is a new Handloader, it may be wise for him to obtain and maintain as much neck tension as he can apply to maintain as much load integrity in his assembled ammunition to avoid additional problems when chambering or the dreaded “setback” condition.

Good Luck :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts