1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all,

Has anyone ever changed the trigger shoe on one of the double stack 9mm Wilson Combat pistols?

I am wanting to change mine to a longer trigger with the flat face, but according to Wilson Combat I have to send the gun in and have them do it. I do most of my own gun work and I really don’t want to ship the pistol just for something like this.

Does anyone know if a 2011 trigger would work, or has WC gone 100% proprietary on this?

I wonder if I could just buy a new trigger shoe, swap it onto the trigger bow in my WC and do any hand fitting needed.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I tried a 2011 trigger for my RIA Double Stack frame (so close to the ParaOrdnance, just about all ParaOrdnance parts work or it). It worked, but barely, and unsuitable IMO. It is smaller in certain dimensions and on in the other dimensions, which results in a trigger that will fit and work, but also move around with almost a 1/4" of lash/slop, moving up/down as you pull the trigger. No one wants a pistol with a trigger like that.

I got a Caspian Trigger, they warned it only works with their double stack frame, and RIA curved shoe trigger as a back up if it didn't work. They were right, the Caspian Trigger is too small in the mag well opening to fit the magazine. But, the shoe is the right size to fit the RIA frame, which the 2011 is too small. So I swapped trigger bows and shoes between the RIA and Caspian, to use the RIA Bow and the Caspian long flat shoe, had to drill new holes through the RIA bow. It works fine, but it takes more work than it sounds and would be easy to get the placement off and it not fit.

·
Super Moderator
7,016 Posts
I believe that all the Wilson double stacks have their proprietary trigger. Since the EDCX9 came out they do not sell internal parts (trigger, hammer, safeties, etc.) for any of them.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I tore down my Experior last night, pull the trigger out and compared it to my Dan Wesson V-Bob. Look at it how the trigger bow and the trigger shoe go together, I’m currently investigating modifying another trigger shoe to go on the Factory trigger bow. Seems like the bow is the most proprietary part.

·
Premium Member
3,226 Posts
Showing my age. Trigger shoe is a gadget that attaches (screws) to a trigger face to modify the profile. They are still out there but if one comes loose, they can create an issue. Some LE banned them from service revolvers. I’m sure this conversation is about the actual triggers which are normally permanent to the bow….at least on 1911 type guns. I’m sure I’ll get ripped but I’m old and can take it.

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
I ordered my EDC X9 with the longer flat trigger.

I am extremely pleased with the fit, feel and function.

It fits me perfectly (large backstrap).

If I acquired addional EDC X9’s (railed or railed with optics) I would most certainly go with the same flat trigger.

Knowing what I now do…..I would grimace and eat the cost to have the gun sent to WC for the flat trigger instal.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Pardon me, I believe I used the wrong term analogy by referring to the part of the trigger assembly that attaches to the bow as the “shoe“.
But I have thought of fabricating a shoe out of hardwood just to see if I like the profile.

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
wooden shoe? must be a dutchman! :) i do stuff like that to see if i like it. i'd probably only load one round at time, but you probably know that. if you do like it i think you will be impressed with the quick turnaround, and of course the workmanship will be top notch.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
wooden shoe? must be a dutchman! :) i do stuff like that to see if i like it. i'd probably only load one round at time, but you probably know that. if you do like it i think you will be impressed with the quick turnaround, and of course the workmanship will be top notch.
Actually as I write this I’m working on fabricating a small piece of sheet metal to zip tie over the skeletonized trigger face to make it a flat trigger. And of course, it’s just to try it, not permanent.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just rigged up this ridiculous mess to test the flat trigger concept. The fact that I have to do this to avoid sending the gun in and spending several hundred more dollars after paying $3300 a week ago… just to find out if I like it or not, is a bit of a problem for me. I will not dispute the quality of their products, but this definitely will effect future ownership decisions.
Air gun Window Trigger Picture frame Gun barrel

·
Registered
443 Posts
Wouldn't be difficult to cut & grind a piece of metal to an exact fit. All sorts of workmanlike methods to attach the piece to the trigger. Or just get accustomed to the trigger you have.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wouldn't be difficult to cut & grind a piece of metal to an exact fit. All sorts of workmanlike methods to attach the piece to the trigger. Or just get accustomed to the trigger you have.
As long as I shoot my $1800 Dan Wesson V Bob better than this $3300 WC, I’m not going to be 100% satisfied. Not that I shoot the WC poorly, I just seem to put more rounds through the same hole with Bob. Granted, 45 ACP is a bigger hole.

Having that much money tied up in a pistol, I want to be 100% happy with it. In every other way this thing is amazing though, pretty much perfect.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I certainly don't have a 1911 in that price range, but I wouldn't want the current lash up on any of my guns. It would be a priority project, if I liked flat triggers, to get that trigger squared away. Pun Intended,

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
I certainly don't have a 1911 in that price range, but I wouldn't want the current lash up on any of my guns. It would be a priority project, if I liked flat triggers, to get that trigger squared away. Pun Intended,
he did this to see IF he liked a flat trigger on this pistol, with out having to send it back, spend $ and wind up hating it and replacing with the original trigger.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I just rigged up this ridiculous mess to test the flat trigger concept. The fact that I have to do this to avoid sending the gun in and spending several hundred more dollars after paying $3300 a week ago… just to find out if I like it or not, is a bit of a problem for me. I will not dispute the quality of their products, but this definitely will effect future ownership decisions.
View attachment 651678
I just took this to the range and I shoot it better than my Experior with this hideous modification. I will seek to modify a flat trigger face to my bow, but hell, it felt really good, I may just keep it this way!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
This trigger modification thing is taking on a whole new life. I fabricated a new flat trigger shoe out of 1/8 inch aluminum. I radiused the edges, filed grooves for the attaching zip ties, and contoured the back so it lays nicely against the curved front factory trigger.

It was intended as and evaluation of flat trigger on this pistol, but has turned into a trigger that feels better than even my other flat face trigger guns. Plus I shoot it noticeably better than the curved trigger on the same frame (WC Experior). And it feels solid as a rock. Go figure.

I may just need to make it a thing, buy some aluminum black from Birchwood Casey, and attach by wrapping multiple courses with small gauge black wire versus zip ties. If it’s all black without the knobby looking zip ties, it won’t be obvious it’s not factory add a glance at least.

Its a real conundrum when a jury rigged trigger ends up feeling better than a proper one. Here’s a pic of my fabricated piece and the SFT9 with my Dan Wesson V Bob with factory flat face trigger. The pull length between the two is within 4/100 of an inch:

Automotive tire Rectangle Material property Tints and shades Electric blue

Photograph White Black Air gun Style

1 - 20 of 21 Posts