1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have one of the newer S&W 686's with the rubber grips (as opposed to the older ones that came with the wooden grips). I've always hated the rubber grips and have been looking for some nice wood ones for awhile (ones from the old ones don't fit the newer ones--square vs round butt design)--anybody have any suggestions? I tried ordering some of the Ajax ones but didn't like those either.

Thanks!

·
Registered
219 Posts
I really liked the Hogue grips on mine. They're a little thicker than the rubber ones but for me it was actually a better fit. Highly recomended.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have quite a few S&W revolvers with wooden grips from Herrets and Hogue. Somehow the Hogue rubber grips fit my hand best-even though they do not look great.

If you want to choose wooden grips, try the fit to your hand first to make sure that shootability does not suffer to looks.

My current shooters, a 625 and 65 have the Hogue rubber grips on again.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies guys. I'm actually looking for BETTER shootability, not looks, and wider is better I think. The old wood grips were a wider design--the thing I don't like about the rubber ones is how narrow/thin they are. Not that I have huge hands, but they were just more comfortable and reduced recoil better too I think. I have been suspicious for awhile that the change in grips was affecting my accuracy, since I could shoot my brother's old 586 much better than my 686, and it had dawned on me that one difference might be the grips. Then just the other day I was mentioning to a very knowledgeable fellow that I couldn't seem to shoot my 686 as well as my brothers old 586 and the first thing he said was "well, those new ones come with those grips that are kind of narrow, and they're harder to shoot well...", which sort of confirmed the suspicion that was dawning for me.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Why not go to local gunshops and ask them if they have any K or L frame target grips. I don't think they will be hard to find. If you don't have any luck try the web sites for E-Bay or Gunsamerica. Regards, Richard:D

·
Registered
793 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts