1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Road surface Art Asphalt Rectangle Gas

Textile Rectangle Creative arts Art Red

Took my Agent 2 to the range and fired 200 rounds through it. Shot at mostly 20 yards and I will say this gun is incredible. I was able to get a feel for it and feel where I was at with it but I definitely need more practice. The first photo was my first shots at about 15-20 yards. The second photo was after I shot about 50-75 rounds. Some slight wear marks near the ejection port from obvious shell casings bouncing and deflecting off the slide after their shot but what finish doesn’t produce wear marks like this? I consider this normal. My only gripe with this pistol, if you can even blame the pistol, was the gun only went into slide lock on about maybe half the magazines I emptied out of the 200 rounds fired. I’m assuming it could be the magazines causing this issue? I only used the two supplied Nighthawk Mags. I shot federal American eagle 230 grain 45 ACP full metal jacketed rounds. Thoughts on the slide lock issue?

·
Registered
841 Posts
You might try different mags. Could be some anomaly with a mag. My shooting buddy and I are very fond of NIghthawks and we both had a serious relationship with Dan Wessons resulting in a passel of them before we discovered Nighthawk. So, I have seen a bunch of some of the better new guns get broken in. I can't remember one that did not have some set of issues or another while breaking in. They all went away around a round count of 5 or 6 hundred. Nature of the beast. These are tight guns that need to wear in a bit from brand new to work perfectly. When this is accomplished, they do work perfectly. At least that has been my experience. I do remember one DW that was in the eight hundred round range before it achieved absolute reliability.

My advise, based on my experience, would be to put 4 or 5 hundred more rounds through it before you evaluate it for reliability. My guess it is that it will work itself out.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You might try different mags. Could be some anomaly with a mag. My shooting buddy and I are very fond of NIghthawks and we both had a serious relationship with Dan Wessons resulting in a passel of them before we discovered Nighthawk. So, I have seen a bunch of some of the better new guns get broken in. I can't remember one that did not have some set of issues or another while breaking in. They all went away around a round count of 5 or 6 hundred. Nature of the beast. These are tight guns that need to wear in a bit from brand new to work perfectly. When this is accomplished, they do work perfectly. At least that has been my experience. I do remember one DW that was in the eight hundred round range before it achieved absolute reliability.

My advise, based on my experience, would be to put 4 or 5 hundred more rounds through it before you evaluate it for reliability. My guess it is that it will work itself out.
I agree. Slide to frame fit is definitely tight. Not a Les Baer but it’s tight. I plan to fire another 200-300 rounds through it my next range visit. Just ordered more 45. If only it wasn’t so expensive…

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I recently acquired an Agent 2 commander, 45 ACP. I got mine with the IOS system and mounted a Trijicon SRO on top and went to work at the range.
As would be expected, the pistol ran flawlessly though I probably only put 100-120 rounds through. I almost wish I had the full size to compare it with but I was not displeased with it at all. That is, once I resolved my own slide-lock issue.
Yes, I ran into the same problem. I had the two included NHC mags and WC mags and was getting no slide lock way too often. After some time, I figured out the issue and this may help the OP and others ….
It’s the extended slide release coupled with the unusually small safety. If you ride your thumb on this safety (like I do for all my 1911s/2011s) you are likely to also be riding the extended nub on the release. Most other pistols have a larger safety that extends a bit farther and has a place for your entire thumb to rest, EVEN IF you have an extended release installed. I know this from copious amounts of personal experience since I put extended releases on ALL of my 1911s (except for my ‘43 Colt) and I have never had this issue. Those guns also have larger thumb safeties.
On this Agent 2, once I moved my thumb to a “non-natural” shooting position, the slide locked back every time. So I now have a set of ambi Atlas Gunworks safeties on the way which I will have NHC finish in the smoked nitride and install.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Just bought a full size Agent 2, wish it had the ios cut but love the trigger and fiber optic sight, high grip cut and mag release, soft shooting as I bought 9mm. Also had the carbon fiber grip upgrade. I'll see how they do as I usually just put G10's on. Would like to find a Commander with the ios cut.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just bought a full size Agent 2, wish it had the ios cut but love the trigger and fiber optic sight, high grip cut and mag release, soft shooting as I bought 9mm. Also had the carbon fiber grip upgrade. I'll see how they do as I usually just put G10's on. Would like to find a Commander with the ios cut.
I've been meeting to take this out for another 200 round session. Hopefully friday morning. I love this gun. Can't help opening the safe to just stare at it every other day.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I have an Agent 2 commander, .45, w/IOS. I do like the gun. It is amazing craftsmanship and looks damn cool (IMHO). Super-precise gunsmithing and a true work of art. But it was kind of an “impulse buy” and not sure how much longer I will hang onto it. Just doesn’t fill any need I had, despite being awesome lol

·
Registered
6,974 Posts
Very nice.

The IOS cut is awesome, if you get one I think you'd like it.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Took this bad boy shooting again another 200 rounds. Magazines seem to be an issue. Gun doesn’t return to slide lock when empty and I was having some FTF but it’s for sure the magazine not the gun. I’d pop out the mag and see rounds stuck down the magazine since the spring was getting stuck. NH says leave them fully loaded in my safe till I shoot again and if it persists they’ll fix it. I’m not too concerned, I love this gun. It’s insanely accurate and fun to shoot. Quick question; I broke it down to clean it the first time and I used the tool for removing the barrel bushing. Makes it easy but it removed some cerakote from the edge of the bushing. Does anyone have any good recommendations for Cerakote touch up paint in a matching smoke grey ?

here are some pics of the spot I want to touch up and the magazine as well.
Automotive tire Rectangle Automotive exterior Bumper Composite material

Car alarm Plant Finger Thumb Grass

Hand Gesture Finger Gadget Thumb

·
Premium Member
1,310 Posts
looks to me like something, spring, follower are binding. assuming factory ammo? they are sensitive to oal to a certain extent. best, james

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Sorry to read you're having these issues. I would buy some Wilson Combat Elite Tactical magazines. Best 1911 magazines in the business.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sorry to read you're having these issues. I would buy some Wilson Combat Elite Tactical magazines. Best 1911 magazines in the business.
Next time at the range I’ll bring some other mags. I know it’s the mag not the gun. They’re fully loaded in the safe to break that spring in better so we’ll see next time around.
I just wish the Cerakote held up better considering it rubbed off while using the tool to remove the bushing. No big deal especially if I get this gun refinished in DLC by NH one day. The DLC looks excellent for the Agent 2.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Follow up question; would getting this refinished in DLC hurt the metal beneath the Cerakote at all? Not sure if they bead blast or what not but I always worry about ruining the integrity of what’s underneath or is that only a risk you run when getting a gun high polished ?

·
Premium Member
1,310 Posts
dlc after a cerakote finish will not cause metallurgy problems. contact bob reeeves on the phone at nighthawk, and i'm sure he would be happy to step you through the process. cerakote is a fancy paint, dlc is a metal treatment. again, if you use it on a barrel, it will wear.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sounds good thank you. I know if you refinish a gun like a python which they always say not to especially when it’s blued it could negative affect the gun but I figure that’s because they’re high polished. I would probably leave the barrel alone and just get the rest of the gun DLC. I’m enjoying it too much for now, this is now my favorite shooter. Might have to put another 1k rounds through it before I do that but I can see the Cerakote further wearing off the more I break it down/shoot it. Anyways, here’s one of my targets at the range. A few bad shots. I love this gun.
Light Yellow Automotive tire Font Gas

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have an Agent 2 commander, .45, w/IOS. I do like the gun. It is amazing craftsmanship and looks damn cool (IMHO). Super-precise gunsmithing and a true work of art. But it was kind of an “impulse buy” and not sure how much longer I will hang onto it. Just doesn’t fill any need I had, despite being awesome lol
If you are interested in selling please let me know. I've been looking for one for a while.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts