1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had any experience with these grips? Are they overly thick, or more like GI 1911/1911A1 grips? Is the checkering nice? I'm lusting over a cocobolo pair on pickagrip.com, but want to be sure. I've already have plenty of grips that "aren't right" once I got them!

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Ahrends does make thin grips, but his standard grips are no thicker than any you'd find on a basic 1911 from the likes of Colt, Springfield or Kimber. You'd also be hard pressed to find better quality grips than those made by Ahrends. I have a pair of their smooth grips in tulipwood. Great grips.

·
Super Moderator
1,862 Posts
The Ahrends grips are great. Whether they are right for you one never knows.

I sell quite a few and most if not all have been satisfied with everything except the cost. They are expensive in comparison to some of the other run of the mill type.

Be safe

Terry Peters
http://www.pt-partners.com

·
Registered
995 Posts
I have a set of the double diamond checkered black gaboon (sp?) ebony grips on my Colt, and they are very, very nice in all respects.

My hands are not large, and these standard grips fit me well.

I had occasion to speak with Mr. Ahrends by phone about a minor modification to my grips, and it was a nice experience. He installed some Colt emblems I supplied with quick turnaround, and at a very reasonable price.

I would prefer his product to others not only because of the superb quality, but also because he is a nice guy.

Good Shooting!

Tim Houser

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have about 10 or 12 different Ahrends grips on my .45's and everyone is perfect! In fact, I won't put anything else on except for Ahrends. I've tried them all--but for function and fit and LOOKS--Ahrneds is the way to go. First class Man and first class grips! I bought some extras so if I ever cracked or messed up a pair I could slip on the new pair and not miss a beat.

G

·
0 Posts
I have several pair tactical (1/2 checkered and 1/2 smooth) I love them...ordered from brownells and with business discount I paid 42.00 instead of 60.00 plus shipping.

------------------
NRA Life Member

Just Happy To Be Here!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Ahrends is the best. I have tried several makers and his is the best. And he is a truely nice guy.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Does Ahrends make the tactical grips without the bevel on the lower edge so that they will fill the space with an S&A mag well? Brownells shows various Ahrends grips in this configuration, but not the tacticals.

Does Ahrends have a web site? If not, does anyone have a phone number?

Thanks!

S

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by TaxPhd:

Does Ahrends have a web site? If not, does anyone have a phone number?

Thanks!
My info is ca. 1 yr. old but talked to Kim's wife Judy last June. They do have a brochure. He also builds superlative custom 1911's & BHP's. If you have a copy of the Jan/Feb 2000 American Handgunner there is a short 5 paragraph article with an excellent color photo of ten of his grips in various woods in the back of the magazine. Kim Ahrends, PO Box 203, Clarion, IA 50525
515/532-3449

------------------

[This message has been edited by Speedrock (edited 02-06-2001).]

·
Registered
670 Posts
Just ordered a pair at pickagrip.com. I bought them in Cocobolo. Check them out (A110) and let me know what ya think. Sam

·
Registered
670 Posts
Got them today. Best fifty bucks I ever spent. Sam

1 - 12 of 12 Posts