1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone seen these? Thinking they would look good on a two-tone pistol with hardchrome frame. My concern is with what is available from Ahrends. Brownells list four styles available:
Combat Checkered, notched for ambi safeties and relieved magazine release area with full coverage, 18 lpi checkering.
Diamond Checkered, 18 lpi checkering, broken by smooth diamonds at the grip screw holes.
Smooth, notched for ambi safeties and relieved magazine release area.
Tactical, with smooth top/rear section and hand checkered bottom/front section, seperated along a diagonal.

From what I can see, only the smooth and combat checkered ones are cut for ambi safeties, but I'd rather have double diamond or tactical ones. Anyone that has used the "tactical" ones, what is your opinion of them? Am I SOL if I have ambi safties, or should I contact Ahrends direct? Anyone have a contact number?

Thanks-
BB

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you have a scanner or digital camers? I'd like to see what the ebony looks like.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have a pair of the Ahrends combat in Zebrawood. I like them. They're just a little thicker than my other grips, and fill my hand nicely. They're cut at the bases for a large magwell. I have a Wilson magwell on mine and the grip was a mite too large on the bottom (an overlap between the edge of the grip and the magwell). I just beveled them down with my sander to match up with the magwell. Turned out nicely. I wish I had a digital camera to post pics, unfortunately I don't. The full checkering on the grips helps more than I thought it would.

I've seen the Ebony and they are nice. Almost bought them, but I wanted some contrast from the dark frame. Zebrawood did that quite nicely.

If you want a cut for the ambi safety you can do it yourself with a dremel and some time/patience. I inlet the bases so it would fit over the area that secures the magwell to the bushings. The nice thing about inletting the grips is that it doesn't have to be beautiful... that's the side no one ever sees.

------------------
When confronted by a difficult problem, you can solve it more easily by reducing it to the question, " How would the Lone Ranger handle this?"

·
Registered
81 Posts
BB
I have them on a Colt Defender (Tactical style) and they came already cut for an ambi-safety. I like them a lot. They look sharp on the gun. I am also considering them on my two-tone gun.

·
Registered
16 Posts
These are the grips I have on my Guvm't and officers.
My frames are chrome and the slides are black
Gun looks really sharp this way. Nice grips well made .

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I've got the tactical ebony on my SA Champion. They're a high gloss, jet black with hairine silver grain. Look and feel very well made. No complaints here.

Mac

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Don! Very nice. What is the African Blackwood? Those look pretty good too.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
BB, African Blackwood has been described to me as a very dense and heavy wood, and fairly rare, hence the prices for the grips made of the stuff. If you hold the ebony and the blackwood grips side by side in your hand, you can note the weight difference. Blackwood polishes up to a gloss, I suppose due to it's density (look at the uncut diamonds around the grips screw holes). Neither does it appear to be brittle. Hope this helps.

------------------
Don Williams www.theactionworks.com www.pickagripcom

1 - 11 of 11 Posts