1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on getting an air compressor soon to help me with my gun cleaning.
I was looking through Sears and the Harbor Freigh online catalogs, and there are quite a few to choose from. I'm sure I don't need those huge compressors for those big powertools.
Any suggestions as to what model would be good? Or how many psi I would need?
I don't mind something that is a little more powerful, so that way, I can also use it to inflate my car tires. I just don't want one that is so powerful that I can risk damage or harm to my guns or myself. And I'd prefer to get one for under $100 if possible.
Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
I picked up a smaller compressor with a single small tank. It can handle up to 120 lbs of pressure and has a valve to control how much pressure goes to the hose. I usually keep it at about 60 lbs in the hose which is enough for filling car tires, using the blow nozzle to sweep the garage, and to blow out oil and gunk from my guns. The key is the adjustable hose settings which most compressors should have. While the smaller compressors may run around $89 - $120, because they don't hold much air, the compressor motor has to run frequently to keep pressure in the tank. For exmaple, when I am blowing out the last residue from various crevices, the compressor will recharge the tank once. If I am filling a car tire or sweeping the garage, it will refill several times. The compressor motor is not exactly quiet.

As far as risking damage, you should not have much to fear for your guns. I find that as little as 20 lbs of pressure and the blower nozzle will do a fine job. Even at lower pressures, however, you need to wear eye protection such that the gunk and potential tiny bits of metal don't get blasted into your eyes. More than once I have enjoyed the taste of CLP and remlube in my mouth because of the back spray. I had my goggles on so my eyes were fine, but I should have kept my mouth closed!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Warning! Be sure to get an inline filter that removes moisture from the air coming out. You can blow water under preassure into places oil does not penetrate. Also be sure there are no small pieces still in the gun that you will blow to h3!! and gone. Ditto the eye protection. I would get as big as I could afford, never know what tomorrow might bring. Sand blasters and die grinders need a LOT of air. I have a 6hp, 60 gallon tank single
stage that runs all my air tools pretty well. With the straight line body sander it will lose ground though.
The HF one is awfully small, but a good brand. Shop around. I got mine at a lumber yard just going in to a new location for under $300. You could build one as powerfull as the one you linked to from an old refridgerator compressor and a freon tank. I have used one like that to upholster furniture.

[This message has been edited by imokie (edited 07-19-2001).]

·
Registered
989 Posts
Unless you plan on lots of large air tools I would buy a nice mid-sized unit. Sears or home depot or any of the 10-30 gallon tanks with a single stage compressor. You will want one that can run on 120 volts at 15 amps .Guns only require a blower nozzle that is also very useful for cleaning out your car and any electronics.
I have at least 4 air compressors and frankly have never purchased one. I have been given freebies from work 3 times and have turned down maybe another 5 air compressors that I have no need for. My big machine is a 9 hp 240 volt at 30 amps with a 125 gallon tank. I run it at 110 psi and use 3/4 inch id hose . I have a 20 amp 120 volt unit that has about a 6 gallon tank that I use much more often, It's great or gun stuff anf light cleaning , but you end up waiting over and over again for it to cycle to run 1/2 in and 3/4 inch impact stuff. Don't screw around with the air aimed at your ears or skin either ... The pressure can mess up your blood veins if aimed at your skin. I would always recommend hearing protection as well as eye protection when using blower stuff.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I use cans of compressed air that you use for cleaning computers. 3 cans for $9.00 at Sams Club. Works great for me.

------------------
GMAN

·
Registered
711 Posts
If all you plan on doing is blowing off guns, the one you picked will work just fine. If you ever intend to upgrade and buy air tools, you will need something larger. Here is the URL for on-line buying with prices from $95 to $500 for small home-use type compressors. In my opinion, these will be of a better quality.
http://www.air-on-line.com:80/champion/dept.asp?dept%5Fid=1

And yes, I work there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts