1911Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I got one of those $19.99 surplus AFSK's from Cabellas last year. A neat knife with a much better steel than I remember as a kid. Mine is made by Ontario and has military stampings on the sheath. Any way, I'm hooked on the Backwoodsman magazine and Survivorman show. I have a magnesium fire starter. I just put together an outdoor fire pit. I told my wife, it's going to get cold tonight, I better see if I can get a fire started, grabbed my AFSK, gathered tender, split kindling and used the knife with the striker to start the fire! I didn't need the magnesium. The knife worked great. I told my wife that at least we wouldn't get cold, I'd gather more wood and try to scrounge up a squirrel. She just sipped her wine and shook her head. It's amazing how much those squirrels tasted like 1.5" Rib Eyes... It's also, handy to have a couple Becks in the survival pack... :) My wife thinks I'm goofy, I think she's right.

Seriously, it is good that we test our selves on the skills we take for granted. I try to always be prepared. Spend some time in the woods and better yet take your kids or group of kids.

Merry Christmas,

Tim

· Registered
195 Posts
Great No-Frills knife. What a real survival knife is supposed to be without "Rambo" Hollywood design frills.

Only downside...needs to be kept oiled since it's a working carbon steel blade with no presumptions of stainless steel.

Also, the tip design is a bit more fragile than a true "Spearpoint" design...don't try throwing it...not what it's made for and expect tip damage.

But for what it is designed for...It's nearly bulletproof!

· Registered
727 Posts
As is, this is a mighty fine knife for military applications where you are as likely to be prying or digging as cutting.

My son in law got two of them before he went to Iraq. I took them to a knife maker and he reshaped the edge on one of them to make it sharper and easier to resharpen.

When his tour was up, he came back through customes at Pope AFB. A minority affirmitive action female customs inspector confiscated his Swiss army knife. It was a 'Spartan" model and was a foreign made weapon that could not be brought in.

· Registered
46 Posts
Boy Must be rough in the Air Force "dining Facilities", most not have got the usual grade of steak. (Sorry couldn't resist)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.