1911Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently discovered a company called Sabrewerks 13, who make something called the KOP - Kalashnikov Optics Platform - which is an interchangeable optics mounting system:

It consists of a replacement rear-sight block (above in purple) with a dovetail that runs front-to-back - onto which dovetailed units (in green above) that mount different types of sights (irons, red-dot and magnified optics) and can be quickly slid and pinned solidly into place as required (the cross-pin also holds the gas-tube in place). Those slide-on sections have a built-in iron rear sight, too - pretty cool stuff!

Following screenshots taken off a Youtube video:

Irons:

Red dot being slid on:

Optic:

The system has apparently been around a while but it was new to me, so I ordered a set for my Yugo AK and it arrived yesterday. In my case, the company was out of the short rail I wanted for the red-dot, so they offered me one with a windage-adjustable rear sight instead:

When I asked about it appearing to be a non-standard part, the owner said "It's a non-catalogued item for a manufacturer. He decided not to pay us, so we were stuck with these custom parts." - I figured it was worth a squirt, so I accepted.

Now, bear in mind that because it's a replacement sight-block, one would have to first depopulate the AK barrel (strip off the front-sight, gas-block, handguard-retainer and rear-sight block) - and then repopulate it. Not a small task but in my particular case I have a new barrel to install anyway so I have to do all of that anyway.

I'm excited to upgrade my AK but my buddy with all the tools is having back-surgery soon, so we've decided to wait until Thanksgiving when I'll be going over.

·
Premium Member
16,602 Posts
Basically it requires almost re-manufacturing an AK to install it. Many of us just remove the rear sight blade and spring and install a railed piece to replace it. If I have a good, straight 'factory' AK, the last thing in the world I want to do is to take the whole front end apart.

·
Premium Member
6,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If I have a good, straight 'factory' AK, the last thing in the world I want to do is to take the whole front end apart.
Obviously. However - as I've stated - I have to re-barrel my rifle so I have to take the front end apart anyway, meaning it's no real additional work in my case. If you have a good rifle already, it would be a big PITA.

Many of us just remove the rear sight blade and spring and install a railed piece to replace it.
Sure - I looked into that option as it's less expensive and many times easier. However, I couldn't find a way to use that rail to mount all 3 options: irons, optics and red dots.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
I've owned my AK for about 20 years, I purchased it as "one of the cheap Romanians" for about $300.NEW. I have really come to appreciate it (It's a SAR 1). Over the years I've accumulated several optic options, + different side mount fixtures - that fit my mounting plate. I have a red dot, + a 6x scope - But may favorite is an illuminated Zenit Bellomo Military Illuminated 4x with correct Simonov Reticle for AK - This scope also allows me to use my rear "SIGHT TECH" Peep Sight / Rear recoil spring base - with my front iron sight. This increases the sight radius space between front & rear iron sights about a foot. I got the Sight Tech rear Dual Peep Sight kit not long after buying my AK. It includes a spl dust cover to accommodate the elevated rear Peep Sight. Surprised I don't hear about more owners using them - a great improvement.
Also like to mention that My 7.62X39 SAR 1 AK, & Romanian 7.62x54R PSL Rifle are extremely accurate - Both made in the CUGIR factory (not kits assembled elsewhere) I have had such a good experience + easy maintainance + low cost enjoyable shooting - that I'm a real fan. C.

·
Premium Member
6,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Over Thanksgiving weekend I finally got the opportunity to re-barrel my Yugo and of course install the KOP block (which was the easiest step in the whole struggle):

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
It looks like a nice solid piece. With you replacing your barrel anyway it was the perfect time to install it.

I wish that I would have had one installed on my Egyptian Maadi when I had it build.

Reactions: AndyC

·
Premium Member
6,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Rebarelling an AK is a total PITA, I have to say. I couldn't believe how much work/anxiety went into doing it; far harder than just building an AK from a kit.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Now the parts kits need new barrels installed also. I am not sure why but all of the kits I have seen for the last several years have had the barrels cut and destroyed. My guess would be it is one of our governments rules. My kit came from a rifle that was in new condition. It had never been issued before it was destroyed. The receiver and barrel were both torch cut.

·
Premium Member
6,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I can report a successful upgrade.

My Yugo AK's barrel was replaced with a US-made version and shoots very nicely:

Sighting-in using the rear-sight on the KOP rail:

First 2 shots at 25 yards:

Once I had the rear dialed-in, I mounted a Vortex Sparc II and, after cranking the dials, shot this 1/2" 3-shot group at 50 yards. The red dot is 2 MOA, so it covers 1 inch at 50 - getting a 1/2" group using a 1" dot is very gratifying:

Very pleased/impressed with this new barrel and the KOP system was worth the money and effort. I have a 1-6x scope I also want to sight-in; just waiting on the KOP long rail to arrive:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts