1911Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While renewing my permit yesterday, I realized just how fortunate I am to live in a state that recognizes our rights, and allows us to excercise them without interference.

I've had a permit for a few years, and it is such a painless process: Apply, background check, three days later I payed $15 for a year. Hell, this year the expiration date came over the weekend, and I didn't make it in until Tuesday. There was no suspicion, re-application, extra fees or anything.

While we still lack nation wide reciprocity, I can carry in the places where I travel frequently (FL, MS, GA, TN)

Anybody else carry in AL? Has your experience been similar to mine?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Yes, I do, and it only cost $10 up here in north Alabama. It took about a month for mine, but my wife had hers back in about 2 weeks.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I would have to agree with what you have said about the great state of
Alabama. In Jefferson county I renew my pistol permit once a year and the procedure is very convenient.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
PART 2 (I don't want to start another thread)

Does anybody live in either the Bham area, or East AL? If so, where do you shoot?

Capbuster, the only place I've ever shot in the Bham area is the WMA range in Helena.

·
Registered
888 Posts
I've had a permit since my 21st birthday. That was 35 years ago. In Madison County they have always been good about this. Hope we never lose the freedoms we have.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Forstr, I suppose you would say that I live in the Birmingham area since we are only 20 miles away.There are several places to shoot and if I miss one then chaulk it up to old age. The Bessemer police department range is open to the public the first Saturday of the month.You are limited to handguns only and usually 15 yds but its a great place to do some pistol work.It will be open this Saturday from 8am to 4pm. You can call the police department for direction or I can email you the directions.I belong to Steel City Sports Shooting Association and the Magic Gun Club amd that is where I do the majority of my shooting.Steel City will be hosting a sight in day this Saturday for the general public. If interested you can call 937-5713 for details. They are running an ad on this in the paper and it will give you a good chance to visit the range. We are currently having a membership drive so come and visit.I will mention two more. The name escapes me but there is an indoor range on Vanderbilt road just off the interstate and also the gun club located in Pleasant Grove. I want to say that it is the Heritage Gun Club.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Bama CCW Permit

Have had my permit since the early 70's. Had one too many encounters with rattlers on one of my job sites. Six with a short machette is one too many. Went to the Sheriffs office talked with him far a few minutes and he asked me if I knew the serial # of my pistol. When I gave it to him he had his secretary fill out a permit for me. Just renewed it again took about 5 minutes but now here on the coast its $30.00/year. Still very cheap and I like the fact that other adjoing states honor the permit.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Limestone is also very quick, last week renewed mine, lady went on the computer, changed the expiration dates, printed it up and I walked out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts