1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
13,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got word from Rob at ACW that my custom Colt is finished. It started life a SS GCT. It was a very average performing gun and I wanted to turn it into a tack driver. So sent it to Rob and let him work his magic.

The list of mods was extensive, to include a new Kart barrel, EG bushing etc....Left the frame stainless and HardHat on the slide. This is my version of a SCG model. I also had something done to this pistol that I never had done before.

Link to ACW's Facebook pcs here. It's the gun labeled SS Gold Cup.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=688383784528201&set=pb.281101065256477.-2207520000.1388355948.&type=3&theater

See if you notice what's not a very common modification. Hint. It's slightly visible in pics 6 and 7 and very apparent in pic #8.

·
Administrator
74,060 Posts
See if you notice what's not a very common modification. Hint. It's slightly visible in pics 6 and 7 and very apparent in pic #8.
You mean the Accu-Rails?

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
I notice some cylindrical bodies in the rail portion between the slide and frame. I don't know what this is; I've not seen it before. Most apparent in the 8th picture, as you state.

·
Banned
13,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You mean the Accu-Rails?
That's it.

Never had one with em. Talked it over with Rob and said.. "Why Not".

Oughta be in my hands by the end of the week.

·
Premium Member
3,907 Posts
Cool, that's going to be a hell of a gun!

Now that yours is done and out the door, maybe my Baer will get on the bench! :)

·
Administrator
74,060 Posts
Accu-Rails run the length of the frame rails and take up all extra movement, thus tightening the slide and frame fit without having to squeeze the slide or peen the frame rails. While expensive, over the long term they save money because a fresh set of Accu-Rails can be fitted easily, whereas a tightened slide and frame has to be re-fitted once normal wear and tear sets in.

·
Banned
13,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How long of a lead time did you have?
If memory serves me.... it was about the 1st of August when Rob got the gun, but I'm not sure when he started. I had a bunch of work done. Checkered FS, flattened and serrated the slide, installed an Ed Brown grip safety, which required some welding to build up the frame. The Accurails, the fitting of a new barrel, bushing, slide stop and safety. Then shipping the slide out to Dave Severns for hard hat. Lots of work so I'm very happy to be getting it now as I know Rob stays pretty darn busy.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Nice Colt!

I've got a blued GCT sitting around here just waiting to go to the beauty shop (aka gunsmith) for a "new look."

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
Great looking gun. Hope you enjoy that baby.

·
Banned
13,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
FedEx man dropped it off late this afternoon. Too late to shoot but that'll come this weekend.

Pics do not do justice to the work that Rob and the guys at ACW performed. Impeccable. Checkering as flawless as any I've ever seen. The Hard Hat on the top end was done by Dave Severns and it too is flawless. The Accurails make it as smooth as can be. You always hear of guns that lockup bank vault tight. This is it. The real deal. It requires a sharp smack on the muzzle to get it unlocked.

I need to get some lead downrange with this bad boy.

·
Registered
22,020 Posts
Very nice, as usual.

I have handled, but not shot, a gun with AccuRails. It was tight and very, very smooth, but have you ever heard of anybody ever actually shooting one enough to get loose and require a larger diameter set of rails?

·
Registered
526 Posts
Very nice.

·
Banned
13,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Single digit temps and me coming down with the flu have put my review on hold. I did manage to get 100 down range on Saturday. No failures of any kind. But any kind of accuracy testing is on hold until I'm back on my feet.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts