1911Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I first purchased this pistol it quickly became one of my favorite guns. However, there were a few things I wanted to change to make it my own. So off to Rob at Alchemy Custom it went. To say I'm pleased with the outcome would be a vast understatement! Here's the list of what was done:

Fit 10-8 slide stop to frame with Logman mod
Blend 10-8 mag release to frame
Checker frontstrap 20lpi with Colt style high cut
Fit and blend Nighthawk 1-piece maxwell
Blend thumb safety radius
Fit custom EGW firing pin stop
Refit lower barrel lugs to slide stop
Blend grip safety to frame
Polish and tune extractor
High polish feed ramp
Tune sear spring
Refinish entire pistol in flat black Armory Kote

And now the finished product:

Here it is with its big brother, my 10-8 Operator. Rob graciously refinished the barrel and bushing on it in black for me.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Stock tritium front sight that I painted neon orange on around the dot.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you gentlemen!

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
Interesting...

Great looking gun!! I love it.

I also considered sending my LW Champ Operator to ACW a while back. I think I remember someone asking him about a true 4" gun and he replied no and then I saw this on his site:

Be aware that we absolutely do not work on pistols with barrel lengths shorter than 4.25". If you are considering calling, or emailing about a pistol that is outside that parameter, I will answer questions, but we will not work on your gun. No exceptions.
Change in policy or do you have an "in" with him?

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Since I spent a lot of time working for Springfield, and they are local should any parts needs arise, I make an exception for Springfield Champion sized guns.
This! I don't know about having an in with Rob as this is only the second gun I've sent him but I can tell you he is a super nice fella and one hell of a gunsmith!

·
Premium Member
5,728 Posts
Great looking pistol

·
Registered
8,012 Posts
My first 1911 was a Springfield Lightweight Champion Operator. I still have it, because it was the gun that started my "1911 sickness". However, the gun rattles like a spray paint can, and simply doesn't shoot on the same level as my other guns. Nor does it have the features I've come to prefer. I have a tug-o-war in my mind of what to do with the gun. Do I leave it as it is for sentimental reasons? Or do I do send it in for customizing to make it something I will actually shoot again? Threads like this push me toward modifying and turning it an excellent shooter. Nice job!

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I say go for it and then post your results!

·
Banned
13,565 Posts
Pistol looks great. Congrats. Typical ACW quality. Rob has built 2 for me and you cannot beat what he does to a pistol.

Not a fan of the light, but it's your pistol, not mine.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts