1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well almost.

I have the no rail TRP. It's always irritated me that my Range Officer is more accurate(in my hands) at 20 yards plus.

Awhile back I saw a thread where the Alchemy Rep suggested the following test. I may not remember this exactly but it was something along these lines.

Take your 1911 apart. Wipe off the crude and lube. Hold the slide vertically , bushing end down, over a trash can. Push your bushing into the slide but don't turn it. If the bushing falls in the trash can leave it there. My TRP bushing remained in the trash can.

So after a few attempts, mainly due to my cheap calipers I got a new angle bore bushing from EGW. I need a barrel wrench now which I know is not for everyone. The bushing to barrel is also tighter.

Took it out to the range yesterday. Put a hundred rounds thru each gun and the TRP was consistently more accurate in my highly unscientific, off hand, 25 yard test then my range officer.

My range officer passes the trash can test but I'm still ordering a new one from EGW to get a tighter bushing to barrel.

Thanks Alchemy !

·
Registered
4,970 Posts
Well...you took the test to the extreme, I would say.

Usually, I suggest having the barrel and bushing seperate, put the bushing on the barrel, tip the barrel forward. If the bushing falls off the barrel with ease, it's over-bored. Sounds like you had a bushing that was also far too loose for that particular slide though.

All the movement in the end of the slide that you can eliminate creates accuracy. There is much to be gained if movement exists in the bushing/slide/barrel/bushing bore area. This is an area that is immune to "locking up in the same place" every time. If there is movement there, it can be very random.

Some will argue that you give up some reliability in harsh conditions with the tight bushing, but until someone can come up with an accurate measurement for a grain of sand, I will continue to fit that area as tight as possible. Throwing sand at my pistol as I'm shooting would require a third arm anyway. Maybe one day, I can afford a third arm, but until that day comes...

·
Registered
399 Posts
I did this test a few days ago on a particular "not so cheap" 1911 and it failed. I also tested my Range Officer and it passed:) I posted at the other 1911 site in the gunsmithing section for measurement clarification.

Slide ID = .701
Bushing OD = .6915

I'm going to do the same as you with the EGW angled.

·
Registered
4,970 Posts
Just order the one from Brownells.

14212A will work 9 times out of 10. You don't have to wait for a custom one to be made. Or, you can order that number direct from EGW.

Description there is Angle Bore Bushing w/Carry Bevel. O.D. is listed at .701 and bore at .580. It might require a bit of adjustment on the bore, but you can be sure that it won't be overbored.

I did this test a few days ago on a particular "not so cheap" 1911 and it failed. I also tested my Range Officer and it passed:) I posted at the other 1911 site in the gunsmithing section for measurement clarification.

Slide ID = .701
Bushing OD = .6915

I'm going to do the same as you with the EGW angled.

·
Registered
399 Posts

14212A will work 9 times out of 10. You don't have to wait for a custom one to be made. Or, you can order that number direct from EGW.

Description there is Angle Bore Bushing w/Carry Bevel. O.D. is listed at .701 and bore at .580. It might require a bit of adjustment on the bore, but you can be sure that it won't be overbored.
Thank you:)

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
Just wanted to comment on the attitude and technical proficiency of AlchemyCustom. Have read plenty of threads with responses / comments from him / them, the superior knowledge and quality of workmanship is obvious. Just as important to me is his responses are said with no hint of a condescending attitude. Great combination of skill level and value system. Speaking of the EGW angled bushing. I measured the stock one on my Norinco with a cheap yet hobbyist accurate (new term?) set of calipers and micrometer. Decided to average out my readings and called them in to EGW. Fantastic person on the other end. He told me my measurements were really close to some they have ready made. I trusted him therefore made the purchase. No sanding, filing, etc was required for fit though the initial fitment to the bare slide had me a tad anxious. I lightly coated all surfaces and began working it to / fro, remove it and check for something goofy looking. I repeated the process several times because it seemed like the right thing to do. Barrel to bushing was superb. Though it requires a wrench which I could care less about, I was really surprised at the improved accuracy. And I was really pleased with trusting the guy at EGW with his recommendation. Trust, skills, and attitude are my preferences and requirements. Thank you AlchemyCustom for meeting those standards.

·
Registered
4,776 Posts

I have put EGW angle bored bushings in all 4 of my bushing commanders. The first two I ordered were ones listed by the specific sizes and they fit perfectly without any fitting other than the lug on one of them. But I must have been that 1 out of 10 cause the second two were ordered by selecting their "drop in" Monogram ones since the sizes listed were the same sizes as my slides and barrels. These second two needed a lot of fitting for the barrel openings. Both barrels measured 0.580 which is what the drop in is listed as but they came in at and less than 0.5793.

Like you said, they won't be overbored. But from now on I will pay the few extra dollars and just order from their size specific options. Much easier that way.

Both orders arrived in only a week.

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
Maybe I dumb.....I kept my loose fitting factory barrel bushing for duty use.

I measured and bought me a tight fitting EGW bushing for competition.

I did the same for my colt.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My hobbyist calibrator versus the measurements of the 2(ya it took 2 tries) EGW bushings I ordered were different. I'm not going to be with the TRP for a few days but I believe the keeper bushing was .699 x .581. I can turn the bushing about 1/3 on and need to finish with a barrel wrench. Off requires the barrel wrench to start. The new bushing doesn't slide off the barrel when vertical anymore. I need to give it a nudge. How are those for bushing specs.

I would second the comments on Alchemy and EGW. They're great people.

·
Registered
4,970 Posts
Sounds like a perfect fit from where I sit.

My hobbyist calibrator versus the measurements of the 2(ya it took 2 tries) EGW bushings I ordered were different. I'm not going to be with the TRP for a few days but I believe the keeper bushing was .699 x .581. I can turn the bushing about 1/3 on and need to finish with a barrel wrench. Off requires the barrel wrench to start. The new bushing doesn't slide off the barrel when vertical anymore. I need to give it a nudge. How are those for bushing specs.

I would second the comments on Alchemy and EGW. They're great people.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Rob is even easier to talk to on the phone when I sent him my pistol to be completely redone. Truly a genteman and a scholar.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Ill have to jump on the wagon. The bushing on my Loaded isn't as tight as I would like. I just had it cerakoted and I was hoping it would tighten it up a bit but it didn't...

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Great article on how to check the fit and perform a thorough inspection of your 1911 from one of the best Bullseye (NRA Conventional Pistol) Gunsmiths alive and of our generation. IMO one of the best resources to determine how well your pistol was fit or in the case of production pistols, assembled.

NRA Shooting Sports Magazine - A Day With A Master Gunsmith - June 2009 Article Hyperlink

David E. Sams
254 Columbia Rd
Cartersville, Va 23027
Phone 804-375-3782

·
Registered
27 Posts
As always the bushing/barrel fit is they key. Not tight slides or match barrel. These help but a lock tight fit up front is the ticket;

·
Registered
48 Posts
Rob is even easier to talk to on the phone when I sent him my pistol to be completely redone. Truly a genteman and a scholar.
I'll second that. Smart, friendly, and no B. S. -- he knows 1911s.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts