1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who do they use or is made/milled in house? I have a Classic Carry (or whatever they call it now) on order for a late May delivery (it was ordered in early November 2020) and I'm curious as the the profile of the magwell.

Reactions: VF-1

·
Registered
702 Posts
I have never seen a duplicate of the ACW magwell on any other gun or available from any other manufacturer. It is a really different profile and I like the way it looks. It matches my aftermarket grips very well. I assume it is made in house or as a proprietary part from an outside vendor simply because of the exclusive Comfort Carry checkering.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@1911_Bandit good point on the unique checkering, I brain farted on that.

I want to have Cherokee Hills make me up some grips and I don't know if I need to wait for the gun so I can send him a grip to insure the profile is perfect. I ordered the gun with the black G10's and the wood ones pictured below so I would have a set to send off if need be.

I hate a grip to have a bad profile fit on a magwell like picture #2, I don't blame the grip/maker as there are so many unique profiles out there

·
Registered
702 Posts
I have had some grips made by High Figure, Zip's, and Brown's Custom so far on my ACW's. While not an exact profile fit to the magwell, they match significantly better than your pic #2. Those same grips, when installed on my Fusion magwell frame, don't match well at all.

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
Factory G10 Black and a round butt on my CC.

My non ejection side panel has a slight gap at the bottom compared to ejection side. It does not bother me.

Wood Caliber Poor Mans Ivory (American Holly) on same piece. (my ambi safety was removed at the time of photo). I just cleaned this piece and the blued surface has a lot of smeared oil. Just getting it ready for bed.

while the look of the Holly is sweet, they are slick and I prefer factory Black for shooting.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bob at Cherokee Hills is going to reach out to ACW on Monday and see if they sell him a magwell, then he'll use it on his old frame he has laying around to insure a perfect fit and profile. I'll update this thread as I hear anything

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's the same profile as an S&A magwell. I wanted to retain that as a reference point. It's classic, and everyone knows what you're talking about from a grip makers standpoint.
Great, thanks. I just got word from the "powers to be" at ACW that my gun is ready to ship next week - a full month early so well done for that :D:D

Reactions: simonp67

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
After a snafu on the gun (they didn't install the orange front site) they had to rebuild the entire gun as Rob didn't feel comfortable swaping front sights (I'd love to hear more about why this was a challenge) anyway, now the 2nd version of this gun is complete and the gun has been shipped and is in the capable :sneaky: hands of USPS. I should have it on Friday.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.