1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, yesterday I received my new UTC back from Alchemy. About a 2 week turnaround time.

Had the Smith and Alexander Arched MSH/Magwell, 10-8 rear sight, custom gold bead front sight and Harrison Thumb safety installed. Alchemy also checked the extractor, test fired it, lubed it all up for me. This was a new UTC, had not even fired it, sent it straight to Alchemy.

Work wise? Alchemy did a great job, as many other post here are testament to. The magwell took them some work to get it to fit right, but fit it they did. It is blended perfect to the bottom of the frame and smoothed all out. Very impressed with the quality of Alchemy's work. Thanks Alchemy.

The Alchemy custom gold bead front sight is much larger than one I had one a Wilson Combat before - much nicer. With the 10-8 rear site (.156 wide U notch) and the Gold Bead front, I have very clear and quick site alignment.

The Harrison Safety was put on nice and snug, and smoothed out. Clicks off firm and to click back on, requires much more effort - perfect.

So I took to the range today. Alchemy told me they lubed it up and to shoot and put 200 round thru it before disassemble. So that I did.

Fired 200 rounds. 1 Box each of 50 FMJ 230gr from Estate, Fiocchi, Geco, and RWS.

Had 4 Chip McCormick Power Mags and 2 of the new Les Baer mags that came with the UTC (Came with 3, but I threw only 2 in the range bag).

Fired all 200 rounds with not one single FTF or problem at all!! Ran perfect. :rock: First time that HAS ever happened to me with a 1911 (and I have had a Brown, Wilson, Kimber, before as well).

Did not really do an accuracy test. Was shooting at a Shoot N See Zombie Pig target (I had one left over from this summer when I was taking my nephew and niece shooting), so what the hec. But shooting from distances of 7 - 15 meters, was tearing a nice hole center mass. I then proceeded to shoot various clay pigeon scraps and pieces that were scattered along the range berm as well.

The sights were easy to see, and what I aimed at, I hit. I did seem to notice I am shooting just a tad to the left - probably me - but may move the rear sight just a smidget to the right.

Was not really watching my stance too much, or doing any serious draw and fire drills or combative drills. Will go back out next week and do some serious training. Today was just to see how the mods worked, felt, get the Les Baer broken in.

Did a few magazines firing right hand only. Everything cycled and did well. Combination of releasing the slide from disengaging the slide lock, and slingshoting the slide. No issues, came back into battery every time.

The new thumb safety? Well, I am kind of still a bit undecided on this one. I do like it better than the stock Baer tumb safety. Is smoother and has a better slant to it. I experimented firing with the thumb riding the safety, and not riding it - with a traditional grip. I just cannot really warm up to riding the thumb safety. Even with the new thumb safety, though no issues at the range today, practicing a bunch of dry fire, draw and fire under stress drills, there were several times I did not engage the grip safety, with the thumb riding the thumb safety. I had this issue as well, with the standard MSH and standard thumb safety as well, part of the reason I switched it out.

I find that flipping off the safety if shooting one handed and coming back to a normal grip works best. If shooting two handed, I actually found that using my left hand to click off the thumb safety, seemed to work much faster for me, and could put sights on target, while maintain a positive grip.

Kind of reminds me of the old days, when I carried a Colt 1908 .308 for a year overseas for work. I do like experimenting with many different ways, to see what works best for me, since I have many people I train, have trained, that rely on me with a host of different weapons to show them the best way to do. But, for me, I think the old way, I always did with not riding the thumb safety on the 1911, is going to work best.

So the question is, for my next Alchemy 1911 modification, I may just go with the Harrison Retro Safety.

As for the Arched MSH/Magwell? Love it. Practical, looks good, feels great in the hand. I may experiment with adding some more traditional style grips, swapping out the slim line grips. But, the slimline grips, combined with the Arched MSH seemed to feel and do pretty well. Again, the fitting and blending job Alchemy did with this was top notch.

Here are some pics. And a pick of one of my HK P7m8s I also took the range today, and put 3 mags thru it. I am a big fan of the HK P7s, never ever had any failures with one. Sorry my photos are not as good as some members here, just I Pod Touch quick photos.

Attachments

·
Registered
667 Posts
I hate thumbnails......Great gun from what I can see. My laptop will not load the thumbnails.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Looks great ranger, One think I see is you defiantly need some flat bottom mag well cut grips. Do you still have the slim bushings or have you changed to the standard bushing.?

·
Registered
4,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I still have the slim bushings on them. But, to be honest, I swapped out the grips for a pair of the flat bottom grips (Just to see how they looked, even though the screws were not fully seated), and I prefer the beveled bottom grips with the cut out for the MSH. Call me weird. Just like the look better. In terms of function, does nothing either. If I decided to try out a full size pair of grips, instead of the slim size, will get a pair with a beveled bottom and MSH cut out - just my preference. The S&A MSH/Magwell is actually their slim fit one. So if go with standard size grips, the beveled would be better anyway, as if flat bottom would extend over the sides.

I can tell you the rounded butt of the Arched MSH/Magwell, with the bit of extra length as well, if very comfortable.

·
Registered
4,969 Posts
Funny how a 1911 can work like that, isn't it? I'll bet the gun felt a bit "different" when you cycled that slide the first time too. I swear by that assembly lube. It's fantastic stuff, and it stays where you need it.

When you go to "move" that rear sight, I didn't put any Loctite on the sight itself...just proper fitting techniques employed. There is some Red Loctite in the screw. I don't want those coming loose. The sight is snug, but you should be able to move it where you like it.

·
Super Moderator
13,494 Posts
The P7 is downright sexy.

·
Registered
146 Posts
And a pick of one of my HK P7m8s I also took the range today said:
Are those Nill Grips my good man? I just got a P7M8 yesterday.

·
Registered
4,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are those Nill Grips my good man? I just got a P7M8 yesterday.
No, not Nill grips. Aftermarket walnut grips purchased on E Bay. I have had several sets of Nill grips before on previous P7M8 i have had, but find them to have a little too big of a palm swell. These walnut grips I purchased off of Ebay, do not have the palm swell, so much m ore thin, closer to the stock grips.

Congrats on the P7M8. IMHO, if you could only own 2 handguns, a good quality customized 1911 and a P7M8 would be the way to go.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts