1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used an Alessi ankle holster with a Springfield Ultra Compact or similar 3 & 1/2 inch 1911?

Yeah, it might cause a limp, but there are times when carrying this way might be appropriate for me. Thanks for the replies.

Rob S

·
Registered
759 Posts
I own an Alessi ankle holster for a Sig p239 in 9mm and as far as ankle holsters go, it's the most comfortable I've come across. Lou doesn't advise using an ankle holster for single action, cocked and locked autos as the action collects a lot of lint/junk but he does make them for those guns. I wouldn't suggest it for a 1911 with a barrel longer than 3".

·
Registered
515 Posts
FWIW, I'm wearing my Alessi Ankle rig with Colt Detective Special right now. The weight isn't bad once you get used to it. I can forget I have it on after walking for a few minutes.

·
Premium Member
2,837 Posts
The elastic is wearing out on my Galco ankle glove and I think I may order one of these to replace it.

I've always wondered if not having the calf strap is a disadvantage? I can get the Galco to ride higher with it and it keeps the rig off my ankle bone.

Any tips for getting the best use out of an Alessi? Positioning it or something? I have a 2" snub.

Thanks.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have an Alessi ankle holster for a Colt Detective Special. I do not use it regularly, but you can get used to the weight for casual activity. However, I can't imagine using it for something that is heavier or has a large size. No matter how tight you attach it, mine will ride down until it's resting against the top edge of my shoe. This usually isn't a problem.

That said, I have a G26 and I've considered the Galco rig with the ankle strap for it.

·
Registered
867 Posts
I love my Alessi ankle rig!

I have one for a Glock 26, and really think that it is excellent. The extra weight is bearable, but that is the price that you pay for having an 11 round 9mm carried there. It's so well made, I feel I need to order more of his work.

Good shopping & good shooting!
:) :) :) :) :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have an Alessi ankle holster for a Colt Officers Model that I have used fairly often. I carried it as a spare to my full size 1911 duty gun. Mine came with a pull through snap that I cut off. I prefer open top, as both of my other Alessi ankle holsters are set up that way. I find the retention of the firearm is fine with an open top. I was using a LW officers model and I did not feel burdened carrying it. Its all in what you get yourself used to doing. Carry it for a couple weeks and you will start to realize when its not there, not when it is. I also find the calf straps to be a gimmick that is unnecessary with a quality ankle holster. It helps support the weight of the gun in a holster that cannot support the weight of the gun by itself. It causes the gun to rock from the extra support point and the holster does not fit nearly as snug to your ankle which causes it to print more.
I carry a Glock 27 in an Alessi every day now, since the department started issuing and requiring us to carry their Glock 22. Ive been carrying Alessi ankle holsters for almost 15 years now. Ive tried most of the factory ones and a few custom makers models. Alessi is the only one I would recommend.

My $.02, YMMV

Trey

·
Premium Member
2,837 Posts
Thanks, Trey, for the informative post. I'm going to quit obsessing about it and order an Alessi.

And thank you, P7! You could certainly hide a full-sized government model in an ankle holster with those pants.

John Collins

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you's to all

Because I started this thread, I just want to thank everyone for their comments. Very helpful.

And I thank P7 for pictures of some singer in the 1960's singing "Bang Bang, you shot me down, bang bang I hit the ground . . .," or something like that.

Rob S

1 - 10 of 10 Posts