1911Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Lou and all,

I looked on both Milt Sparks' and RFHolsters (Alessi)'s web page and I wasn't sure what the difference was between the two. Sparks' web page said the Talon holster is a collaborative effort between him and Lou.

Anyway, which holster will I be better served with, money being no object? THere's so darn many of them I dont really know the difference btw all the products of both brands.

If possible can someone give me a quick breakdown btwn the different holsters they offer?

Profile: Scrawny bastard, 5'5", 110 lbs. Probably carry my [email protected]$$ USP because it's more reliable than my Kimber (ugh)

------------------
Jeff More
Irvine, PRC
All your AR-15 are belong to us!

·
Registered
674 Posts
Skunkabilly,

Lou and Tony K(Milt Sparks) have collaborated on a couple of holsters. The one I know about is the VMII. The holster is Tony's but the belt attachment uses Lou's patented Talon clips.

Tony is also working on a holster similair to Lou's CQC/S and they have compared notes on this board. They both post here so hopefully they will get a chance to chime in on this one.

I will say this the fact that two men who are essentially competitors collaborate on designs for the betterment of the whole, says a lot about their class and professionalism. You won't go wrong buying something from either of them.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Own multiple holsters from both makers, and both are totally class acts.

Call them and talk to them. Tell them your size and needs/requirements and they'll make a recommendation. Great guys.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have several of Lou's Talon, CQC/S, CQC/I, a shoulder rig and ankle holster. All serve different purposes and different levels of dress. I use them to conceal a Mustang Pocketlite, a Beretta Mini Cougar, 8040F (smallish and thick) and my newly aquired Defender.

I second the adice to call and talk with them (or e-mail). What will suit you the best will be based upon how you will use it, the types of covering dress and different physical attributes. I have a Rosen ARG-Slim that I wore daily, and also had a cronic sore right cheek. I have had Lou's CQC/I for a week or so and the cheek is much better

-- Chuck

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Originally posted by WaltherP99man:
Skunkabilly,

Lou and Tony K(Milt Sparks) have collaborated on a couple of holsters. The one I know about is the VMII. The holster is Tony's but the belt attachment uses Lou's patented Talon clips.

Tony is also working on a holster similair to Lou's CQC/S and they have compared notes on this board. They both post here so hopefully they will get a chance to chime in on this one.

I will say this the fact that two men who are essentially competitors collaborate on designs for the betterment of the whole, says a lot about their class and professionalism. You won't go wrong buying something from either of them.
The VM2 is much different... The Watch6 Dual Talon is the holster you are thinking of. Tony's new NP1/NP2 is the newest design that originated from Bruce Nelson's Patriot, and probably best recognized recently as the Alessi CQC/s.

Tony and Lou are without a doubt, the very best in the field, and they are very sincere, and respectful of other's work. They collaborate with each other often, and with other players as well, but the fact that whether you choose one or the other, you're likely to experience a 4-8 week backlog, so I don't think either are hurting for business, or affecting each others business

Personally speaking, the VM2 has been one of the finest holsters I have had the pleasure to use IWB with a Full-Size 1911, while my Alessi Talon was favored with my smaller, lighter Kahr Polymer... Kinda shows where my preferrences lye

·
Registered
624 Posts
If I didn't make holsters for a living and needed to choose one it would be a tough decision. Sparks, Null, DelFatti, Waldon, Garrity, Bullman, Gallagher, Meredith of PCS in Baltimore..See where I headed? and Im leaving a whole bunch of people out only because this list could go on forever. There are so many good makers in this business today, it's very confusing to make a choice. The best advice I can offer is to decide how, and where you want to wear your gun. Then look at as many pictures on the web as you can, and by all means contact the makers. They can help you to make a decision without predicating it on a sale. Tony Kanaley often sends people to me, and I do the same. In fact I recommended Matt DelFatti to a customer on the phone today. I would rather help the customer get the right product that's going to work for him, than sell him something just because I made it. This country is going through some tough times right now, and when times get tough, the gun business get's busy. I suspect we are all swamped with orders right now. Our back log went from 4 weeks to 8 to 10 weeks within just a few days.
Feel free to e-mail me anytime, and if I can't help you, I'll try to point you in the right direction.
Lou

------------------
Alessi Holsters, Inc.
You'll never know it's there, until you need it.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Lou,

I want an inside-the waistband holster for my USP. I don't really need a combo inside and outside holster. Just inside, strong side. Which ones have I narrowed it down to? I really don't know what all the features like the talons and dual six stuff do! Thanks so much.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Originally posted by jaydee:
The VM2 is much different... The Watch6 Dual Talon is the holster you are thinking of. Tony's new NP1/NP2 is the newest design that originated from Bruce Nelson's Patriot, and probably best recognized recently as the Alessi CQC/s.
Thanks Jaydee, I got confused. So many pretty holsters, so little time.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Skunkabilly:
A USP is a chunky gun, so I would look for something comfortable in a IWB holster. You can't go wrong with the VMll from Sparks, or the Watch Six Dual Talon, also from Sparks, or me. Mitch Rosen makes a couple of IWB holsters that many people swear by. You should take a look at his site also. I never recommend a holster that works inside and outside. It usually turns out as a compromise in both applications, and neither application works well. I'm a firm believer that "you can only serve one master", so if you want a holster that does the intended job well, get one designed for that purpose, not a dual purpose.
It's very hard for me to predict what you will like without knowing your body shape, and build, mode of dress, etc.
A good place to start would be to try as many different holsters from friends or people you know from shooting. Try as many as you can before you make an expensive mistake.
Lou

------------------
Alessi Holsters, Inc.
You'll never know it's there, until you need it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
For this inpartial answer from Lou, I will have to buy me an Alessi or two to haul my Wilson CQb around in. I do currently have a couple of Sparks and they are a class act. Can't wait to go pick out my new leather.

·
Premium Member
5,062 Posts
Originally posted by Skunkabilly:
Hi Lou and all,

Profile: Scrawny bastard, 5'5", 110 lbs. Probably carry my [email protected]$$ USP because it's more reliable than my Kimber (ugh)

Man, us Kimber owners can't catch a break!

------------------
"Double-action in an auto pistol seems to me an ingenious solution to a non-existent problem." -Jeff Cooper G&A mag Oct. 1973

·
Registered
717 Posts
I'll echo the sentiments of all the other posters. You cannot go wrong with either Lou or Tony. They both have excellent reputations for delivering not only an outstanding product, but outstanding customer service.
I have had a number of transactions with Lou. I own his belt, his CQC-S, a Watch 6 (with Talon clips), and a mag pouch. Oh, I also have a DOJ holster from Richard Heinie's shop, that came with my Heinie BHP. Anyhow, Lou's leather worksmanship is first class. Well thought designs that really work in the practical sense. Quality is second to none also. I've had holsters from several makers in the past (including Mitch Rosen). All I have to say is that if I need a new holster, I will always give Lou a call first. Did I mention already that his customer service is outstanding? :D He's always more than happy to take the time to help a customer out. Actually, the first Alessi product I bought was a shoulder rig. It turns out that shoulder rigs don't fit my body, and needs, the best. I hesitantly called up Lou at first, and asked him if I could swap it for a different holster, knowing that most holster makers either don't offer refunds/exchanges, or do so but only give you partial refund. Lou told me "just send it in, and we'll give you what you like". Not only that...I even sent him $5 to cover the additional shipping costs of the replacement holster. What did he do? He sent the check back to me! Now that's someone who knows how to do business with class!
I never dealt with Tony Kanaley directly, but from what everyone says, he also places a high importance on customer service. His products of course, have a great following and reputation. I do actually have a Milt Sparks flashlight pouch for my SureFire 6P. Simple design, clean work, and most of all, it works. I really like the unique belt loop attachment they use. Inside the main snap, there is another "flap" of leather that keeps the pouch in place, and prevents it from sliding around on the belt.
Either way, you can't go wrong. I think it'll come down to which maker has the design you are looking for.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Own and wear both Alessi and Sparks IWB holsters. Love 'em both. Often have a hard time deciding which to wear that day.

Both Lou and Tony are excellent makers, easy to work with and an asset to us.

Hmm, guess that didn't help much with your decision, eh.......

Cheers, Tim

·
Registered
22 Posts
What about IWB magpouches?
I find wearing both the gun and magazines IWB, is about the most uncomfortable thing in the world.

As far as holsters, I have both a Alessi CQC/S and a brand spanking new Spark's VMII. I would highly recommend both. In cordovan. :D

bkm...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts