1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the Colt Cowboy pistol. I would really like a SAA, but doubt that I would spend that kind of cash to get one. Would I be happy with the Cowboy?

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I had a Colt Cowboy for a short while. I didn't shoot it in the time I had it so I can't comment on that. I will tell you it was the ugliest finished SAA pistol I have ever seen, American or Italian. The case colors (chemical) where poorly done.

If your looking for a SAA have you seen the US Firearms Rodeo? It is ~$550 I believe and has a matte blue finish w/case colored hammer. Not the prettiest but made in the USA with quality parts. www.usfirearms.com

·
Registered
28 Posts
Colt Cowboy 45 LC

I have one and I am extremly happy with it.Its very accurate fits and finish excellent,mine was 5 1/2 inch barrel.They are made in USA By Colt.Safty features better than original Colt SAA.You can carry with 6 rounds because of the transfer bar safety system ,on the other hand you cant carry the SAA with the 6 rounds.So far in 3.5 year I have had no problem with it.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Colt

I bought one at the last gun show, and fired it yesterday at the range. It has a 4 3/4 barrel which I really like better then the 5 1/2.[my personnal pref] I had a great time shooting it and hadno problems with it at all. It shot about 2 or 3 inches to th right at 25 yds but the height was very close to being perfect. The cylinder locked up extremely tight, with only the very slightest amount of movement. Almost impercipable. I paid 499 for mine and saw one at the local shop for 550 with a 5 1/2 barrel. I The 'case colors' are fine on mine. The bluing was even and deep tho the cylinder was more of a very fine brushed then a full gloss finish, still looked good tho. I looked at SAAs for quite a while before I bought this one. Most real 1,2,3, gen colt SAAs were WAY overpriced, worn out or refinished that the owner lied thru their teeth about. They must be the biggest BSers of the gun world. Any nice SAAs I did find were priced very very high. More then I would ever spend for one to shoot. I found the cowboy priced pretty decently, had a good trigger, and mine was finished fine. Ruger makes a nice pistol too. Colt As I understand lisensed the hammer drop from ruger. I mght be wrong but I have read it several places. My kids fired it and wants one so bad he can't stand it. If you want one buy one. I will be lookin for another 4 3/4 to match the one I have. With a bit of holster wear they'll look even better.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
cowboy

Oh by the way, the cylinder was timed absolutly perfectly. And the hand dragged none whatsoever on the cylinder. After 75 round there was no marks on the cylinder. I will support 100% Colt on this pistol. It might never have the collectability of the generation series but it still says COLT on it, and it got a lot of 'sweet' at the range.

·
Banned
5,947 Posts
If you like the Cowboy....buy 'em while you can. Colt has discontinued the Cowboy model. Fit and finish and price added to their poor sales against the non-Colt SAA competition.

Regards,
Sam

·
Registered
122 Posts
Re: Colt Cowboy 45 LC

kursat said:
I have one and I am extremly happy with it.Its very accurate fits and finish excellent,mine was 5 1/2 inch barrel.They are made in USA By Colt.Safty features better than original Colt SAA.You can carry with 6 rounds because of the transfer bar safety system ,on the other hand you cant carry the SAA with the 6 rounds.So far in 3.5 year I have had no problem with it.
Same here!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I didn't think the Colt Cowboy was ever made with a 4.75" barrel. I'm fairly certain they were all 5.5 inchers.

K22

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just when ya think you're starting to know the product line....they change something....My Bad:)

K22

·
Banned
1,049 Posts
The Feb. issue of Shooting Illustrated has an article on the new Baretta made single action. It's in the same price range as the Cowboy and Rodeo.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
4.75 barrel

Well they sure do make one with a 4.75 barrel because I have one. It also has the hard rubber grips like a SAA. The others I saw at the last gun show had 5.5 barrals and really cheap looking wood grips that looked as if they were made out of orange boxes. SO the question is just how many 4.75 were made? My book only showed 5.5 made but it must be wrong. What about grips put on them? Books show just wood but must be wrong also. My local shop says all gone no more. Several other stores said same thing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts