1911Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen some pics of alloy frames that have been deeply gouged by metal magazine followers; should I not use my Shooting Stars in my new Commander? Colt supplies mags with SS followers, so they must not see it as an issue.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Plastic Followers

In line with this topic, does anyone other than Wilson make a .45 acp Mag. with a plastic follower? I just got a Wilson mag. for my Colt Defender,w/ the plastic follower, and the slide does not lock back when empty. The Mags that came with the Defender(orange follower,plastic coated) work fine, but I did notice that the plastic coating on the follower is coming off on the lower part. Looks as though this part may be hitting the frame(ramp part of the frame). From previous threads and posts, I too am concerned with with the metal followers gouging the alloy/Aluminum frame. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I have a aluminum framed commander and I usually take the Dremel to the slight point on the bottom lip of the follower. I just slightly round it out as I was getting a gouge mark on the frame under the feedramp.

When I had first purchased the magazines, I hadn't done this "treatment" and was starting to get a gouge, but once I rounded that point out, the gouge has not became any worse.

esheato...

·
Registered
529 Posts
I've been very happy with the MetalForm 7 round magazines for my SA Compact 1911. These magazines have the plastic orange "safety" follower. I've pushed EFMJ, naked ball, and SWC rounds through and not a problem.

Next MetalForm group buy that comes around you might want to grab a couple to try out.

·
Premium Member
20,434 Posts
I don't mind giving up one round to get the tremendous dependability of Metalform's round-top followers. Any of the Shooting Star type followers can and do follow the last round forward, causing that gouging.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I have heard that

AZ, I have heard that. Thats why I'm looking for the plastic Followers. I have a Wilson Mag. w/ the plastic follower for my DEFENDER but it doesn't lock the slide back on the last round. I figured I would try the metalforms w/ the orange plastic followers. How are the Metalform metal Round followers in the Defender(or similar 1911). Is this what you were speaking of? Thanks for any help!

·
Premium Member
20,434 Posts
I love the way the steel round followers work. They maintain the proper angle at all times. They cannot dip down in the front and cannot extend past the front of the tube. I have no experience with the orange plastic followers.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
This does happen with the factory Colt (Devel style) followers. Whenever the last round in the mag is fed it gets carried forward by the round sliding out and bonks the lower part of the feedramp. Then when the round is fired I imagine it also gets to make another hit. It's one or both of these. I think the dent is probably low enough to not be a serious problem at least until it gets real bad, but if it were my gun I wouldn't want it starting. Lots and lots of folks swear by that follwer style but I've never been able to get 100% satisfaction from them.

In Officers ACP-length magazines with Colt bodies I've had good luck just dropping in a Wilson follwer and spring for their 8-round mag. Set up this way the mag holds 7 rounds, is not difficult to insert in a slide-down gun, gives reliable feeding (assuming everything else is right) and locks the slide back. But that's admittedly from a pretty small sampling of pistols. Certainly the best way to go is with a Wilson Rogers complete magazine in OACP length, although they cheated a little and they do hang down, what, 1/4" or so. Small price to pay for good function though. Either way the plastic follower is more stable and won't dent the feedramp.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Which ones?

AZ Husker said:
I love the way the steel round followers work. They maintain the proper angle at all times. They cannot dip down in the front and cannot extend past the front of the tube. I have no experience with the orange plastic followers.
AZ, went to metalforms site. Which do you order(Mags w/ steel followers)for your Defender. ie: Rounder Follower w/ welded,fixed,removeable etc,etc. (in other words, which model # do you order:D ;) ) Do you have a Defender or similar 1911 you use them in? Thanks for your help!:confused:

·
Premium Member
20,434 Posts
Sarge...I don't have my catalog handy, but just pick the features you like. I order the stainless tube, welded baseplate (for flush fit), and round-top followers. For a full-size pistol, these are 7-rounders, and 6-round mags for an Officer/Compact.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts