1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

i was wondering why ppl all want alloy (or other ligth) triggers.
Are they better than the standard steel trigger?

Kind Regards,
Péke

·
Registered
302 Posts
Not better, just lighter. When you tune your trigger pull down to light weights (< 2.5 lb., for example) the intertia of the trigger enters into the equation. the lighter the trigger, the lighter the trigger pull can be without inducing hammer follow.

I just did a trigger job on my competition gun over the weekend - dropped the pull down to 2 lb. with no hammer follow at all. I didn't try it with a steel trigger, but I doubt highly I would have been able to do the same with a trigger that weighs twice as much.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
On a 1911 type pistol, the trigger is free in the frame, held forward only by its spring. When the slide is dropped to load the first round, the gun jumps forward as the barrel goes into battery. The trigger tries to remain where it is (says Newton), so it moves back in relation to the frame. In doing so, it tries to move the sear and if the sear spring is light and/or the sear engagement is small, the trigger actually pulls itself and drops the hammer into the half cock notch or onto the shelf. That is not especially good for a finely worked sear.

The lighter the trigger, the less likely this is to happen. On a GI spec gun, the trigger spring is heavier and the sear engagement greater, so the steel trigger is no problem.

Jim

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Damn, the trigger is just one of the thing i think are moast beautiful on my Colt Gold Cup (Series 70) :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts