1911Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So...I am in my bosses office showing him my new Kimber TLE, and another 1911 shooter comes in and starts to look at it also.

The conversation went basically like this:

1911 Shooter: Nice....Alloy frame?

Me: Nope, stainless steel.

1911 Shooter: You should have gotten alloy.

Me: Didn't have an option if I wanted this particular gun.

1911 Shooter: Well...you can expect to replace the frame after about 10,000 rounds. It won't last. I know from experience.

Me: I have heard that the Aluminum frames won't stand up to
the abuse...but never heard that about stainless.

Boss: I have heard that you never want to buy a stainless steel gun also.

WHAT THE HELL IS THIS CRAP! Oh yes...I did yell at them for pissing on my parade with a new gun. I also don't buy much that is said around my office, because most of the "gun guys" don't know jack about anything.

But...what is your take on this?

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Steel frames though heavier have been proven to last forever. They are steel. The alloy frames are much lighter so easier to carry. May have more recoil since they are lighter.

Alloy frames have been tested to last at least 20,000 rounds with no wear. But there are some doubters out there/here.

My Kimber is alloy and I hope it lasts forever. Some say that if you are going to target shoot thousands of rounds get a steel gun and carry the alloy one. I probably shoot 500 rounds a year through my Kimber. (Have other toys to shoot as well)

plunker

·
Registered
445 Posts
ch-po said:
I also don't buy much that is said around my office, because most of the "gun guys" don't know jack about anything./QUOTE]

Enjoy your TLE. It will outlast an alloy frame, for reasons you seemed to already know.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I also agree with the others.....stainless is fine and will last. One thing to be cautious though which I read is to be cautious when using cooper solvents. Leaving it on too long (like overnight) may be harmful to stainless since stainless contains a percentag of copper. Nevertheless, have fun and safe shooting.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys...

You know it's funny how some people can always come up with something negative to say about anything. I remember a few years ago the same boss was kinda razzing me about having a plastic gun (Glock). Hmmm...plastic was bad...so I bought a metal gun (not at all because of him)....oh, that's not good enough either...I guess I should just buy a Beretta 92-whatever (what he carries) and see what is said about that. I bet nothing. Funny how that works.

Anyone know what Beretta frames are made of. Maybe it is some inferior steel that I need to tell him about for his own safety!! :biglaugh: (No offense to Beretta shooters intended)

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
As a matter of fact I believe the Beretta 92's (recently last few years) have an alloy frame. They also have a plastic guide rod in the pistol. On the Beretta forum members suggust changing or carry an extra guide rod.

plunker

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
from the Beretta forum for your boss.

All 92's have aluminum frames except for the Billenium series -- their's are steel.
If someone here had a problem with their frame cracking ect... We'd hear that bitching and moaning forever.
Such as the time the Navy Seals ate a slide since they shot nothing but proof loads thru a 92F.
WIth a proper main spring, you could limit the battering of the frame, and/or use shokbuff's. The rails don't take that much abuse really.
It is better to have two unlike metal surfaces moving against each other to prevent galling. Some materials such as Titanium are more likely to gall than others. BUSA could use a steel frame, but it would make your currently overweight 92 even heavier, with little to no weight where it would count to eliminate preceived recoil.

Beretta's are large pistols for such a small calibur!

plunker

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hmmm...My first lesson in Materials Science: Steel has a relatively infinite fatigue life, many other metals (Aluminum) don't. In other words, you can stress a steel frame forever (within limits of course) and it will never stress fracture. Aluminum, however, will eventually break once it reaches its limit. Once you've learned material science...you always get a little nervous flying in a commerical jet and watching those shiny aluminum wings vibrate.

Anyways, alloys will depend on the alloy but steel just doesn't wear out.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I feel better about my SST frame now. However...thanks to TulaneBME I am now afraid to fly. I'll save that for another forum.
:biglaugh:

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
ch-po,
If you want to get your boss and the 1911 owner's goat, your TLE/RL's frame is carbon steel. All of them with the rail are. Your slide may or may not be SS. Some are and some aren't, it apparently just depends on what the assembler picks up. If there's an "S" on the underneath of your slide ahead of the ejection port, then it's SS. If not, it isn't. Mine is all carbon steel. I still have the first Kimber I ever bought, a SS Custom, that has no telling how many thousand rounds through it, and haven't had one problem. Roll your eyes and dismiss what these guys are telling you because they don't know ****! You picked a great gun, now just go out and shoot the hell out of it! :D

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The rail guns are carbon steel? That's the first time I have heard that. Although most general conversation about the TLE is about the non RL version. Where does your information come from? BTW my slide is SST based on the "S" stamped inside it.

How do I tell for sure what my frame is made of?

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
ch-po said:
The rail guns are carbon steel? That's the first time I have heard that. Although most general conversation about the TLE is about the non RL version. Where does your information come from? BTW my slide is SST based on the "S" stamped inside it.

How do I tell for sure what my frame is made of?
The information came from Kimber. I don't remember who posted it, but I emailed them and asked and received the same response. The only way I know of to tell is to try and cold blue a place where the finish is rubbed off. If it takes, it carbon steel. If not, it's SS.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
ch-po, maybe they were thinking of galling? I wouldn't be overly concerned about this happening to your Kimber. Just shoot it and enjoy it.

:D

·
Registered
225 Posts
Once you've learned material science...you always get a little nervous flying in a commerical jet and watching those shiny aluminum wings vibrate.

You'd be even more nervous if you could see the things I see on a daily basis...

·
Registered
233 Posts
Just think about how many of the SIG pistols suchs as the 229,226,239 etc have a stainless slide hammering on that aluminum frame with a hot round like the .357sig:)Dont hear of many of them breaking.

Look at glock and the little metal tabs they call "rails" on a glock 21 in 10mm!!! dont hear of many of them breaking either.
Same can be said about the little pocket rocket G33 (.357sig).
I have two of them and neither has gave me a problem.

I have guns of all types and so long as you lube them and dont run over them with a truck I wouldent worry about it at all.
I shoot hot loads out of every gun I have and Im still yet to break one.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts