1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has probably been covered before so forgive me I'm a newbee to this forum and 1911. My question is how well does the alloy frames hold up? I just ordered a SA lightweight Champion Operater. Not that I'm going to fire this gun 10 or 15K times but would like to have some imput.
I have a Berreta 92 SB and it has had about 3500 to 4000 rounds through it without any wear at all, none, nada, zip, But I do understand that there is much more pressure on the frame of a 45ACP than a 9Mil.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
The Alloy vs Steel debate is about the same as the MIM vs Forged Steel question. It ain't worth worrying about.

Most likely you'll never put enough rounds thru your pistol to ever tell
any difference. Just don't feed it a steady diet of +P rounds and you'll
be ok.

Shoot your pistol as much as you want. Try to wear it out. If it breaks,
send it back to SA and they will repair or replace it.

Alloy frames are just fine but I personally would not own one. That's
just me.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Jeffrey J said:
But I do understand that there is much more pressure on the frame of a 45ACP than a 9Mil.
Chamber pressures are actually higher in the 9mm cartridge. If you shoot standard pressure cartridges in both guns, wear should be negligible.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I had an aluminum framed Kimber that I put 5,000 rounds through. It broke in any number of ways, but the frame looked new at the end of my ownership of it. (any number of other parts on it were new since it broke pretty regularly)

I personally love aluminum frames. My current daily carry weapon is a Wilson Professional built on an aluminum frame. You save 7 ounces that don't do a thing for you.

·
Premium Member
9,375 Posts
You have a better chance of being struck by lighting than cracking a modern Alloy frame. Sure it's happened. But it's rare. And you would need to shoot a hell of a lot more than 5000 rounds statistically speaking. What I mean is it could crack on one round. So could my steel frames. But the chances are so small.

And here is the small print that most don't say, most frame cracks don't stop the functioning of the pistol.

Regards,
Greyson

P.S. I also put a few thousand rounds (4000 on the full size alone) through three alloy Kimbers with CMC magazines with no problems.

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
Change your recoil spring about every 3000 rounds if it makes you feel better and gives you peace of mind. Use the factory recommended weight as Springfield knows a little about building 1911s'.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts