1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Administrator
74,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I gotta break this habit of mine. On my lunch break I stopped by a favorite gunshop of mine, and sure enough they had another GI 1911 there (they quite literally always have at least one there, somehow). It was an early 1918 unit, mostly original except for barrel and almost no finish left. They wanted way too much for it ($600), yet I almost found myself wanting to buy it. Something about an old gun and seeing all those nicks and scratches, wondering if they were put there at some moment near the Muesse-Argonne. I finally managed to coax myself away from it, convincing myself that the wrong barrel and filed-down front sight made it worthless.

I'm consoled by the fact that I have a 1944 Colt M1911A1 headed my way right now, reportedly still looking factory-fresh. Assuming that's so I'll be posting a pic ASAP.

·
Registered
8,648 Posts
dsk:
Ah, yes, what a dreaded habit! Good to hear of your A1 acquisition. I've found another 5 M1911's within the last 2 weeks, all located at small gun shops, and all priced in the $500-650 range. Excellent values, considering the scalping currently going on. Man...gotta get a bigger safe...

------------------
Make It Hot!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Soooo what do think would have been a fair price for this lonely 1911?

Let's see. I go out to lunch and it sets me back about $10.00. Assuming that you spend about the same amount as I do perday, you would only have to skip 50 or 60 lunches to pay for this pistol. Heck, you would probably lose some weight, look better and feel better. I say go for it

More useless advice from Ramjet.

·
Administrator
74,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Problem with that is I don't have any extra weight to lose. I keep trying to justify the costs of the guns I buy, but I never tell people because they'd think I was recklessly insane to spend $1400 on a gun. My only legitimate answer is that people will spend the same amount for a stupid sparkly rock.
Anyway, I'd value that 1911 at around $450-$500. At that price I'd probably have given in, which would have been dumb because by saving my money I can always find one that's better.

That of course brings to mind a hypothetical question: would you rather have a safe full of inexpensive, worn GI .45s or just one or two really nice ones?

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
I already know i'll be poor at death. So why not spend my money on Colt 1911's. Though generousity makes one feel good too. I can't escape the bugs got me. Let me go let me go!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts