1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You guys are scaring the crap out of me I have a P-12 limited that shoots real good right now at first it was jamming but after a box or two it is very reliable I can remember the last 3 times I went shooting and it had no jams or anything like that and that was my homebrew of ammo. Now everytime I go to this section I hear all this bad stuff does anyone have anything nice to say, do these guns really wear out quick and break? What should i look out for?

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
I have a P1640 LDA LTD. I had some feed jams when new but I fixed it by polishing the feed ramp. I shoot both reload and new 180-grian ammo. It is quite reliable and deadly accurate (I maybe have a feed jam once every 200 - 300 rounds, but the gun is still tight). I have about 1000 rounds through mine and have no real problems to report.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Forgot to mention: the guy who I buy reloads from shoots his P1640 in IDPA, IPSC, and any where else he hears gunfire. He says Para's are known for being indestructable and likes them because he can load up to super power factor with no worries.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well bounty hunter that is good to hear but on this para board I hear alot of stories about plastic pieces breaking and all sorts of stuff. I guess there are always some bad and some good.

Are you a bounty hunter?

·
Registered
454 Posts
Originally posted by Greg1911:
You guys are scaring the crap out of me I have a P-12 limited that shoots real good right now at first it was jamming but after a box or two it is very reliable I can remember the last 3 times I went shooting and it had no jams or anything like that and that was my homebrew of ammo. Now everytime I go to this section I hear all this bad stuff does anyone have anything nice to say, do these guns really wear out quick and break? What should i look out for?
i dont know about the p12 but it should
be about the same as the p14. i have owned 2 of those and after a factory repair shop feed polish job they both
worked great the standard 14 had about
6000 rnds through it and kept going. the
only problem after the factory attention
i had on the limited was the black on
black propritary para sight i hate black
on black and there were no options as they severly cut the slide novak was
willing to help me out for 250.00. ouch.
i put about 3000 rnds through it. i got
out of para cause of the magazine cost
i can buy 5 chip mcormick 10rnders verses
1 para 14rnd mag. i like to shoot not be
jerked around buy price gougers. pluse
i have really enjoyed the thinner grips
with slim panels on my standard 1911s.
as long as the gun makers care what we
think of their products and believe that
the quality of the gun is in every step
of the building process and is their
responsibility we will get good guns.
when they lose sight of that we pay.
who wants a plasic gun? who wants plastic
in their gun? plasic is from the accountants desk and the rest of us just
put up with it. i am talking about your
main spring housing and mag release.
so there is the good and bad.

·
Registered
138 Posts
i just got as p-16 ltd. the other day. fear about wearing out? no way... reliability issues? yes. i'm planning on using it as a duty weapon after putting a couple thou rounds through it. 250 rds in- no jams.

i have a buddy that has a p-14 ltd. he shot in ipsc. 35,000 + rounds through that gun. it has been rebarreled, and the slide is major loose- but it's still a tack driver.

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
Hi Greg1911,
You can put your fears to rest. I shoot Para's in competition and I'm very satisfied with them. If you get a chance go to my web site and view the All-Sport Forty that is the gun I'm shooting in the video. That same gun has over 50,000 rounds through it and most of those were my heavy pin loads that are making a power factor of 210 these are not light loads by a long shot. The only part on that gun that has broken is the extractor and in all fairness you could see a void where it broke and it just broke two weeks ago so you can see it lasted a long time. I also have a P-16 limited gun I shoot in the limited division and its another good one, I hope to have some pictures of it on the web site at a later date. Believe me my guns are used hard and I have no fears about traveling a long distance to a match and competing with them. Shoot your Para and enjoy it you will find they are good guns.
Regards, Bob Hunter www.huntercustoms.com

[This message has been edited by Hunter Customs (edited 11-08-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Hunter Customs (edited 11-08-2001).]

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
The only problems I have encountered with my p-14 limited stainless, is that the "tuned" trigger came from the factory overly heavy, like 5-6lbs., and also, I had problems with the slide rusting toward the top of the muzzle end. I had to knock the rust off about once a week before I had it hardchromed.(this took care of the problem) Admittedly, I carried this piece daily in 100 degree weather in an inside the pants rig, but the stainless 1911 that it replaced never rusted after years of carrying in the same conditions. Anyone else had any of these problems?
By the way, the trigger was a big dissappointment (especially for a pistol that is the "limited series," with a "tuned trigger" which costs over $800.00., but I had already planned to basically keep the slide and frame and build the rest of the gun to my taste anyway. My very competant (meticulous) gunsmith buddy worked it over, and replaced and hand fitted all the internals with Ed Brown and Nowlin parts, and did an awesome trigger job. The piece is now perfection in my eyes, with no problems. Only other thing I would like to have done is mp3 plating, but that was getting outside the realms of my budget.

·
Registered
364 Posts
As I understand it, the factory spec on trigger pull of Para's single action pistols is 4 to 6 pounds. I haven't read anywhere where the limited series is any different.

------------------
Really interesting....Don't ya think??

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Berger- a 5lb trigger isn't actually heavy. Most match grade 1911's come with triggers set between 4.5 - 5 lbs. My LDA Para breaks at about 5.5 lbs but feels lighter. My STI 1911 breaks at 5lbs, but feels lighter also. A "heavy" feel might be due to trigger creep or something dragging as opposed to actual pull force.

·
Registered
5 Posts
10,000 rds. plus through my P-16 ltd. and the only complaint I have is the thin blueing on the frame. I wore it down to bare metal in under a year. But thats okay shes in the shop being plated this week. As well as a few other mods. Can't wait to get it back on the range.

------------------

·
Registered
783 Posts
Originally posted by DVC45:
10,000 rds. plus through my P-16 ltd. and the only complaint I have is the thin blueing on the frame. I wore it down to bare metal in under a year. But thats okay shes in the shop being plated this week. As well as a few other mods. Can't wait to get it back on the range.
I thought the blueing could have been better myself. What kind of plating are you doing?

·
Registered
838 Posts
Originally posted by DVC45:
...shes in the shop being plated this week. As well as a few other mods. Can't wait to get it back on the range.
DVC45,

I too am thinking about getting some work done on my P16 Limited.

May I ask which shop you sent yours to?

·
Registered
5 Posts
DVC45 Armco machine and plating in Prince George B.C is doing the electroplating. Excellent pitol smith with lots of great ideas and innovations. He is also good with impaitent customers like myself. L.O L.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I read your message and also tried to bring up armcos site. I also was asked for a pass word. I talked to him earlier today and he mentioned he had someone working on his website. I will send him a message letting him know about the pass word. Good news for me though, I should have my pistol by next weekend.

·
Registered
49 Posts
If you are looking for Gunnar Christensen of Armco. You can reach him at:

[email protected]
or phone 250 962 9713

Armco
6374 Dawson Rd., Prince George, BC V2K 4X8

Gunnar is also the current section coordinator for IPSC BC

He is a very nice guy. Given him a call.

·
Registered
172 Posts
What are you guys talking about? I've been shooting Para's off and on in IPSC for more years than I'd like to admit. I started with the first gen.(old gunsmith)frame and just purchased a "Limited" P14. I had a few jams in load develoment but a thousand plus rounds later zero jams, I cant even say that about my glock(s). As far as wear goes it does'nt seem to wear any more than my colts or springfields. The people I shoot with had similar luck to mine. Did we just get lucky?

[This message has been edited by Silver Surfer (edited 11-24-2001).]

1 - 20 of 37 Posts