1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I wanted to replace the stock recoilmaster in a Ranger II so I could use the pistol for IDPA, what could I replace it with? Would a full length guide rod with reverse plug work?

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Hello: A full length guide rod with hole and a reverse plug. I would also use a 14 pound ISMI recoil spring. I like the EGW guide rod or STI guide rod. Thanks,Eric

·
Super Moderator
739 Posts
The Ranger II is a 4.15 barrel. You don't want the standard guide rod. STI does not make one that will work. You need a Commander length rod and will have to modify it slightly (shorten and drill a takedown hole). Make sure you use Commander recoil springs and check carefully for coil bind depending on the poundage of the spring you may run into problems wihich could cause damage to the pistol.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Hello: I like the 14 pound recoil spring for 40 and 45 acp major loads. Bob is correct since I did not realize the Ranger II has a shorter barrel. Thanks, Eric

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello: I like the 14 pound recoil spring for 40 and 45 acp major loads. Bob is correct since I did not realize the Ranger II has a shorter barrel. Thanks, Eric
Thanks for your help. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't 14 lbs sound really light for a .40 or .45 commander length slide?

·
Registered
440 Posts
Thanks for your help. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't 14 lbs sound really light for a .40 or .45 commander length slide?
It does sound a bit light for 45. Colt specifies an 18# in their "Commander" and Dan Wesson's CBOB factory spring is 20 pounds. So, I'd think that 18 to 20 pounds would be a good starting point.

I was kind of surprised that with a 20 lb. recoil spring in my CBOB that it would function with 200gr SWC lead loads down to 3.0 grains of Clays. Accuracy loads are from 3.4 to 3.8 grains of Clays in my CBOB.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I should have my d***-skinners on a Ranger II by mid week, for how many rounds is the stock recoil mechanism rated.
I think the Wilson book says 300 !:barf:

does ISMI make a spring to fit inside the recoil-master ?

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
The Stock Recoilmaster is rated for a very high round count. I've heard in the 10-15K range, but the whole unit needs replacing...just not the main recoil spring on it. STI does not sell those individually...wish they would. The Recoilmaster is not designed to be taken apart so replacement of the inner spring is not possible.

Bob from Brazos may have a more difinative answer on Recoilmaster longevity. In the .45acp Recoilmaster, and shooting heavy loads, I would expect diminished life span.

·
Registered
86 Posts
got mi mitts on mine ;-)

well I took the recoil-master apart, looks like one should be able to replace the outer spring.
I would think ISMI would be able to figure what can work in there ( # rating, relaxed length, load at compressed length, I.D, O.D., etc )

I understand that this wouldn't address the replacement of the smaller inner spring, but I reckon I could swap the outer a couple times and then toss the entire thing( under the assumption that the inner spring is worn-out)

·
Super Moderator
739 Posts
I've been told that the springs should last at least 30,000 rounds. From my experience I think this is accurate if not conservative. Because of the inner spring the outer spring tension is not as critical. In most models when new they are a little heavy anyway and shoot better when broken in. The replacements for the outer springs are available but I would not mess with the system just shoot it. You do need to keep an eye on the head of the assembly that is screwed on and then staked. If it starts to come loose at all it needs to be replaced. STI will warranty it in these cases.

·
Premium Member
1,616 Posts
I understand your issue about the recoil master, I purchased two Ranger IIs one in 9mm and one in 45acp, shot in IDPA for sometime, then someone brought up to me my recoil master was a no go. Not a great moment.
I don't have the time or confidence to make the necessary changes.

·
Registered
86 Posts
You do need to keep an eye on the head of the assembly that is screwed on and then staked. If it starts to come loose at all it needs to be replaced. STI will warranty it in these cases.
Yep, I had it apart earlier this week and noticed it will now turn about a quarter turn ( moving from one stake to the other, mine is staked in 4 places).
Guess I'll be e-mailing them for a replacement. It's a safe queen now.:(

edit, Just sent an e-mail to David C at STI.

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
Heard that the RecoilMaster is either now legal, or, soon will be....

Presumably because of full size Gen4 glocks now using double springs?

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
The IDPA Gods had a change of heart after realizing that a lot of the manufacturers are going to a dual spring recoil system. I changed mine over sometime back so it would be IDPA legal. Bob's advice is right on. Shorten a Commander guide rod, check the recoil spring for stacking and it runs like a bandit. No special fitting or machining required. BTWm the reverse plug may be hard to find. The plug from the Recoilmaster works fine.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Maybe Wilson has a gun in the works that's going to use them. It just seems strange that for so long, they disallowed it because it was a competition device only, when STI was using it in their carry guns long before the IPSC guys caught wind of it. Maybe it's just years of tradition unhampered by progress.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts