1911Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week I saw a post that I think was here. There was a discussion on using grip tape on the front strap. Some complained that the grit wore off and got in the action and caused damage. Well, I have found the solution. Rubberized grip tape. Don't waste your time looking at Lowes or Home Depot. You won't find it there. You can send me a check for $49.95 and I'll send you a 7" piece you can cut to shape to fit your front strap. OR YOU CAN GO TO A MARINE SUPPLY STORE !! Yep, boats use the rubber stuff, water would dissolve the glue on the standard "skateboard" tape. You can get it in different widths, 1", 2" and even a 4" and they come in different textures. And the best part, it's only $1 per foot for the 2" and .50 cents for the 1" per foot. It made all the difference in the world on my .380 Govt. model.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
I saw the posts on the grit from the tape getting into guns and was amused as I never had that problem but figured there probably are some crappy versions of grip tape that might not hold grit well.

This rubber tape sounds interesting. Do you have a brand name or product name? I hate to call and ask if they have rubber baby boat bumpers or rubber tape. The different textures sound nifty.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just ask for marine grade grip tape. (AKA: waterproof) It comes on 25 foot rolls and you buy however much you need by the foot. The 1 inch is a bit thicker and has a much coarser grit than the 2 inch. just remember to round all corners so it wont lift as easy. Also, one very important item before applying, clean off ALL oils from the surface. I use brake cleaner, but gun scrubber should be just as effective.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Seems like a bit of overkill to me...unless you're a dishwasher or have a rare glandular plam sweat disorder....

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Question: The usual grip tape (as referred to in the other thread) is easy to remove and won't harm the gun's finish. How does this waterproof react? Seems like it would be harder on the gun if you should need to remove the tape.

Mac

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's just like the skateboard tapes adhesive. Myself, I personally like the feel of a rubber grip instead of sandpaper. I spent too many hours in a bodyshop as a young man to use sandpaper as a grip.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Home Depot sells 3M textured tape for outdoor applications for about $1.50 a foot for 2" wide segments--so for a $1.50 you get 24 applications cause you only need a strip 1"x4" for the front strap--just make sure you degrease the front strap or the tape won't hold--brake cleaner works well.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Brownells carries checkering files and jigs. 100% waterproof and I've never heard of any checkering peeling off. Hey, its an option.

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you want somethimg permanent I have had good luck with the truck bedliner repair spray { the stuff that comes in small cans at many auto-part stores }. It's cheap, not to aggressive, and tough.
Just one more alternative.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Originally posted by Inspector Harry Callahan:
Brownells carries checkering files and jigs. 100% waterproof and I've never heard of any checkering peeling off. Hey, its an option.
I wish I had the "cahunas" to take a file to my front strap. If I could find some old cracked or damaged frames I would be willing to experiment. Until then I'll experiment with what I can "undo".

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Brownells sells 'spray grit' in clear and in colors. Its a fine abrasive in an epoxy base.

Works pretty well, although it takes forever to dry. The clear is just about invisible, too.

Larry

------------------
He who fights and runs away had better run pretty damn fast.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts