1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I am wanting to buy one of the Wilderness type belts for better control when carrying.

The problem with the Wilderness belts is that they don't have very much adjustability. They say it has 2 inches "play" in them when properly fitted and that it gives you the ability to tighten it down a bit more if you have to and looen it a bit if needed or your new IWB holster is thicker than the last one. Well that is all fine and dandy for you guys that have been wearing the same size pants for 15 years.

My problem is that I am on a diet. I don't know about you all, but I don't want to pay $45 for a belt that I might only be able to wear for a month and maybe 2. No question the Wilderness belt is the STANDARD by which all others are judged, but until I get to my goal I think I would be better served getting a belt MADE like a Wilderness but has a lot more adjustability in it that will allow me to keep wearing it as the inches come off.

I think BlackHawk makes a similar belt that is sized from 42 to 50 inches or something like that, but it comes only in 1 3/4 inches. That is the kind of sizing I would like, that would last me 6 or more months at my current pace. I just don't know if the 1 3/4" would work out.

Do you all know of other belts that I should take a look at and consider? Has anyone else been in this situation and went belt shopping? If you have any ideas or recommendations feel free to chime right in.

Thanks for all your help and time.

Nala

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ok

I too was in the same boat. I have went down if you count by ones 11 pant sizes. I started with a wilderness and am on my second now. There is more than 2 inches in there belts at lest in the ones I have bought directly from them. There quality is much better than all the rest and if you send the buckle back you save 10 bucks on the next belt.

James

·
Super Moderator
14,939 Posts
I bought the Blackhawk belt for the reasons you stated. It's an excellent belt, but I am disappointed because it is soooo difficult to thread thru my belt loops. It's very hard to start thru a loop and it's very awkward to do while wearing the pants. I have to thread the belt with the pants off.

If I had it to do over again, I'd take my chances on the Wilderness belt, and just replace it as necessary as my waistline shrinks.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Galco also makes (or made) a belt of this type, but I believe the cost was higher than the original Wilderness model. BDUs and jeans will handle the 1¾ inch width, but you'll run into problems with dress and casual pants, and shorts in warmer weather.

·
Registered
21,987 Posts
I have one of these on order:

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=715640

Uncle Mike's Reinforced Instructors Belt 1-1/2" Wide Polymer Reinforced Nylon Black 44"-48"

This great Instructor's belt is made of strong, durable nylon and is reinforced with a polymer insert that will not roll over like other belts, even with the heaviest holster and gun combinations. 1-1/2" wide. Black. Product #: 715640
Manufacturer #: 8769-1
Our Price: $21.99

·
Super Moderator
13,561 Posts
Sell old belt, with ebay and various forums, there's no reason that you can't recoup at least some of your money sunk into old belts (hopefully they're in decent shape). Buy new Wilderness of proper size. I don't know where you bought yours but I've never paid more than $35 for one.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
The Uncle Mikes belt is nothing but a cheap, China made rip-off. If one doesn't have a problem with that, then it is undoubtably a good buy at $22.

To Blackhawks credit, they at least made a couple visual changes to distinguish it from the original Wilderness belt and I believe they are made here in the good old USA. Blackhawk actually took over the old Michaels of Oregon facility here in Boise when MoO moved their production overseas.

Here's an idea. If you plan to continue loosing weight, get a belt a little smaller than needed and shrink into it. You might also consider calling The Wilderness to see what they suggest for your dilemma.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I think you are much better off with a Wilderness belt. I am not sure if they still offer this or not, but I think that they will knock $10.00 of the cost of a new belt if you send in your buckle. I have been using the same two belts for seven years. They are still my favorites.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts