1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that the better cleaning rods are made of either polished stainless, or rubber coated to protect expensive bores from aluminum rods. I've read (not being a chemist), that when aluminum oxidizes, it creates aluminum oxide, which is what's commonly used for sandpaper. Are the CCI aluminum cases finished with something to prevent oxidation? If not, it seems like a lot of wear on the chamber and extractor. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
I don't think they would be since it only contacts the chamber and not the barrel/rifleing. Just shoot your pistol and enjoy it/them. If it does cause some kind of erosion it'll be after several thousand rounds down the road anyway.

rimfire,22

·
Banned
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the answer on the coating. I'll start using them for my "woods loads," where I don't mind loosing the brass. As an aside, I'd also always wondered why many of the more respected swat teams never trained with blazer------even in their SMGs, where ammo expense really adds up. I thought there might have been reason for concern.

·
Registered
529 Posts
The loads the departments use for training have to do with various purchasing contracts and kickbacks. Ideally training loads should simulate carry/duty loads, but that can be difficult in cases where more than load is available in any given caliber. Many ranges also use reloads as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts