1911Forum banner

Aluminum frame and Plunger tube removal.

1040 Views 4 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  Metazorro
Hi

I have an aluminum frame that I have fitted the parts to, but did not think all the way ahead. I did not realize that I will have to remove the plunger tube to have it anodized.

What I have read suggests grabbing it with something any working it off. I wonder if that is based on a steel frame, and might be a bad idea for an aluminum frame? I guess the only other choice would be to grind it off and then try to pop the pins off.

Any suggestsion?

thank yuo

Richard
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2,461 Posts
Here's my 'suggestion.' Take a 1/8" ball burr in a dremel and grind away the staked area of the pins. Then run the right size drill rod through the tube and work it off the frame..be sure to protect the frame from whatever pry-tool (if any) you decide to use.

Bob

· Registered
2,613 Posts
Back in the days when plunger tubes only came from Colt and weren't available as conveniently as they are today and there weren't as many specialized tools available, I used this method a few times and was able to save the tube and use it again.

I'd pick out a coat hanger that had wire about the right size to go all the way through the tube. Cut a piece of wire about 10 - 12" long, thread it through the tube and then bend a approx. 3" leg back from each end of the tube to create a "vee". Twist the ends together to create a triangle. Grab the frame in a padded vise just below the tube, then using a pair of Vise Grips, pull out on the wire and kind of "worry" the whole thing side to side, until it came free of the frame. If it wouldn't move at all, I'd use a 1/16" stubby punch to get it started.

If luck was on my side, it would come off with just a small fight and no damage to the tube. Occasionally, the ends of a tube would get stretched out of shape and you'd have to get a new one; but they usually came off okay. YMMV, Luck to you!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.