1911Forum banner

Aluminum Frame Feed Ramp Wear? Idea.

3K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  George Smith 
#1 ·
It is my understanding that the feed ramps on the aluminum frames wear out before any other part of an aluminum frame gun. Especially if you shoot a lot of hollow points. Why couldn't Kimber integrate a small piece of steel into this part of the frame which would reduce wear without sacrificing weight?

#2 ·
Tell you what - when I wear out the ramp on my Pro Carry I'll email you with the news. My PC aluminium ramp looks the same as my Classic's steel ramp. The PC has about 500 brass jacketed and copper jacketed hollowpoints through it along with about 2K of lead.

By the way, there is zip wear on the rails too. I was bored the other day and Mic'd the thing out of curiousity.

#3 ·
Kimber uses 7075 aluminum for their frames. I looked it up in the "Standard Handbook for Mechanical Engineers" and it is more than 60% stronger than 6061 which is usually used for 1911 frames. In my aluminum framed guns, I don't use any jacketed ammo where the jacket extends beyond the bullet nose - like Golden Sabre or has a sharp edge.

#4 ·
When I first started shooting my Pro Elite about a year ago, I noticed what looked like scarring on the feed ramp. I had never paid much attention to this part before but, what I did was, took some emory cloth and wrapped it around a pencil. I used this to smooth out the feed ramp. It has not re-scarred since. I think it was a little rough from the factory. Smoothing it out wasn't difficult, or time consuming, but it did stop the apparent wear. That was over 500 jacketed rounds ago with no sign of wear now.

I don't think you'll have to worry too much about it wearing out.

------------------
God Bless America!!

Danny
NRA, NAHC, Buckmasters

#5 ·
My Wilson Lightweight Protector (same frame as Kimber), has 6000+ rounds through it, with no wear on the feed ramp. I've used a combination of FMJ ball, JHPs and RNFP lead.

The frame to slide fit has stayed the same since new, and it never malfunctions.

In my humble opinion, unusual wear on aluminum frame feed ramps is caused by Semi Wadcutters, which I never use.

#7 ·
Gents,

If you see damage it can be repaired. Most damages aluminum frames comes from people throating/polishing the gun. DO NOT polish of grind on the frame/ramp. You'll go through the surface hardening and HP bullets will gouge the aluminum. I was first told of this by Bill Laughridge, at Cylinder & Slide, Inc. Bill has developed a steel instert that can be machined in to repair the damage or be installed if you're really concerned about it. Cost is about $100.00. Way cheaper than replacing the frame.

My Les Baer gun uses a full ramped barrel which will negate the problem, as well.

Wes

#9 ·
Good post
7075 is indeed much tuffer than 6061
when hard coat anodized it is some pretty tough stuff. 7075 is what the good AR receivers are made from.

Also true often someone polishing or altering a feed ramp will cause problems if you break through the hard coat, the base alum is no where near as tuff as steel in that aplication.

As to ramp barrels being the cure, often this is not the case, on a 45 the first bullet off the mag dives below the ramp cut and hits the frame.

geo ><>

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.