1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I said earlier, I did not plan ahead.

The aluminum frame I have has a pinned steel feed ramp insert. I have gotten wonderful advice on how to remove the plunger tube. And I have read the way Ned puts in a feed ramp, which allows you to remove it.

But this frame has the feed ramp pinned with what I think is a roll pin in a blind hole.

I am thinking my best hope is to try to punch it out the other side, maybe put in my drill press, find a tiny drill to find the other side?

Any other thoughts?

thank you

Richard

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
I'm assuming that this roll pin is running cross-ways of the frame.
Try drilling through the center of the roll pin with a tiny number sized drill until you break through the far side. Then you'll know where the center of the hole is on the far side. Turn the frame over and using that center, drill the hole out to the roll pin's diameter and to the depth that just touches the roll pin. At that point, you'll basically have turned a blind hole into a through hole.

Now, you mention not thinking things through ;) ; how are you going to get the steel insert out, after you've removed the pin? I'd expect it to have some form of adhesive and be of a fairly tight fit.

BTW, why are you trying to remove the steel ramp? I can only assume to re-anodize the frame.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Not a fun project

Sometimes if you are lucky, you can thread a small screw into the roll pin and pull it out. More than likely, the pin and definitely the insert were installed with Loctite so some heat to break the bond will help.

Removing the insert will not be easy- when properly installed they are a tight press fit. You may have to machine it out and fabricate a new one.

Hope that helps.

Steve

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi

The plan is/was to anodize the frame.

I did not realize that it would also be a press fit. What I may do is try drilling through as suggested, then heating. After that if I can not pursuade it to come out without destruction, give up. Get a new pin, and then either Alumahyde it or send it to Mac's.

thank you

Richard

1 - 4 of 4 Posts