1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i seem to have a aversion to following the crowd. my only 45acp is a star pd that i bought back in 1975. but now thinking of adding a rock island armory 1911 for informal paper punching. what do you all think, as for home defense i have an old S&W 916 pump with a cut down barrel and # six sot shells at the ready.

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
As to your first question in the title of the thread, "Who knows?"

I have a couple of friends that are Star PD Freaks (not meaning anything bad either), have collected a few for what ever, worked over some and one carries 2 of them for CCW.

I have no real knowledge of the Rock Island Armory pistols other they are made in the Philippines. I have read some good reports and some not so good reports.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
MOLON LABE
Leonidas c 480 BC
FFF

·
Registered
671 Posts
Well if you don't go out and buy that 1911 I would say you're not.

The RIA is made in my location but I have no knowledge to its reliability and function. May I suggest that you read the CD forum.

vega

·
Registered
35 Posts
I to am looking at the Rock Island as my second 1911, first one is a Kimber. I am looking for an inexpensive GI shooter and have been told that the Sistema would fit the bill, but my dealer has seen some come in rather rough. So my question is, Does Rock Island have a web site? Are they made by the same company that makes Charles Daly or are they made by SAM? I hope to get one in a week or two so I am anciously awaiting anybodys opinion.

Mark

·
Registered
671 Posts
Mark - RIA does not have a website and so with the company that supplies this (Twin Pines). The dealer would not want to admit that its made by Armscor(CD). According to them the frame and barrel came from US and Brazil. Don't know which one. Internal parts are John Masen. I noticed that the serial numbers are similar from CD.

I asked the saleslady where I bought my Glock if its Armscor and she said yes but not to tell anyone she told me. So dont tell her I told you.

vega

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,286 Posts
I was a PD fan for a while. When the frame on the first one cracked, did I swear off all Spanish products? No, I went out and got another PD. For the $325-$350 that I paid for them, they were excellent guns. When Star folded, and Interarms stopped handling parts, I figured it was time to get out of the obsolete Basque pistol market. My fondness for unusual 1911 derivatives extends to floating chambers, DA conversions, tiny all-steel pistols that weigh more than a Commander, etc. I think I'm still ptretty normal.

G

·
Originally posted by papa g:
i seem to have a aversion to following the crowd. my only 45acp is a star pd that i bought back in 1975. but now thinking of adding a rock island armory 1911 for informal paper punching. what do you all think, as for home defense i have an old S&W 916 pump with a cut down barrel and # six sot shells at the ready.
I think I also have that same aversion. I just bought a half dozen Rock Island Armory
.45s. Took one to the range the other day and fired 50 rnds. It shot well using reloads w/ 5gr Bullseye, 230FMJ. the gun functioned flawlessly as fast as I could pull the trigger. The slide fits tight on the rails and the trigger is much better than I'd expected.
I say buy it with confidence.
Also see my .02 on the "OTHER 1911s board"
I'd buy a hundred if I could afford them.
Hope your experience is as good.
Thesenator

------------------
thesenator

G

·
Originally posted by papa g:
PAPA G please email me, [email protected]

Wonder where in Somerset? Got family there right on the river. Will be there in the spring.
Thanks, Tom

------------------
thesenator

·
Registered
128 Posts
I'm far from an expert on 1911s, but so far, so good concerning my RIA.
DAL

------------------

·
Registered
321 Posts
Senator..You say you just bought a half dozen
RIA 45's..I was not aware that they were approved for sale in this state..Would you be so kind to tell me where you purchased them ? I am in the market for a frame but if the price is right a complete gun would do..
Thanks..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts