1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Perhaps this is my perception and mine alone. It appears that while most everyone here is a solid fan of the 1911 style platform, they only trust it so far. When pressed to name an "ideal" or "most trustworthy" firearm for HD or CCW a significant number of us defer to the HK or Glock or some other EuroCombatware.

I honestly have not done a real poll or taken any scientific steps to prove this theory. This is based on a feeling -- nothing more.

Likewise this is in no way an attempt to start a flame war against or in favor of one platform over another. I'm just saying. I think I may be seeing a trend.

:scratch:

·
Administrator
18,611 Posts
The only thing that stays constant is change. Ergo, assuming you are correct about your feeling of a trend....is that it will certainly become a nontrend.

I for one am a lucky one...I trust my life (along with several others that I work with) to my 1911. Wouldn't have it any other way...

·
Registered
29 Posts
My personal defense weapon of choice is a 1911. That being said, I will also say that I "feel" your trend and I do think its warranted. Yes, my 1911s and most others can be made to be very, very reliable and within acceptable "failure" tolerances. However, its a pretty tall stretch to say they are not just a little more finicky. Seems to me the two slight challenge areas are the sensitivity of magazines and the extractor tension. "Modern" guns just don't seem to have the same level of sensitivity, especially in the extractor area. I personally don't think its much of a challenge to tune an extractor properly, but you have to remember that the majority of gun owners are not tinkerers. They go and buy a gun and expect it to be 100% out of the box. Some 1911s, yes they fit the bill, but I would wager that a greater percentage of Sigs, HKs, Glocks, etc have better reliability out of the box. I don't mean a large percentage, but maybe a failure rate of 1 out of 5000 as opposed to a 1911's 1 out of 4000. These are just made up numbers and there is no need for members to post all their various demonstrated failure rates over 20 years. My point is that all guns have failures, and everything else equal, a 1911 maybe requires a BIT more effort and BIT more knowledge to get it on par with a "modern" gun's reliability, and I personally feel that the this extra lit bit of effort is rewarded with a superior defensive product in the end. Just my humble opinion.

Gunslinger

·
Registered
91 Posts
Trend

I doubt it, well maybe for some still looking.

1911 was my 1st pistol & still my choice for any situation. I have carried it for over thirty years 99% of the time. The only instance where I might rely on another weapon is when I absolutely have to have a smaller piece.

I own other guns only because I like to own other guns, I grab a 1911 when I leave the house or reach in the nightstand.

Never a thought or doubt of will it function or not.

Plus it's a comfort thing, my 1911's are part of me.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Trend no, it's actually just

Marketing!!!!!!!

Some ad agency put together a marketing campaign that all people who like guns would be drawn too and think ahhh this is what I need. "Glock Perfection" is an example, even though Glocks are known to have some problems out of the box, Glock Owners will not admit it because they want to believe the "Glock Perfection" slogan.

I like all guns so I really don't care about the Marketing, buy'em all that way you dont have to play favorites. :D :D

·
Registered
230 Posts
Well,for me,my first NEW pistol purchase was 4 years ago,i really dont know why i picked it,but it was a Ruger sp101 3inch,and i loved it,but alas,the need for a Colt .45 was tearing at me,so thats what i got next,and i will Never regret it.I love that thing.Im sure slogans and ads work to some extent on most people,myself included,but so far,my firearm purchases werent based on Any slogan or ad.Maybe the future will be different,but i doubt it,as i know what i want allready,and Aim to have it.1 of each of the USGI originals,and the next one coming soon,the .380 Gov. model,then,i will take a break from looking/buying.

·
Administrator
73,831 Posts
I just simply don't trust new 1911s out of the box. Once I've had a chance to finish what the factory started and I'm sure everything is right on it, I'll easily trust it and have every reason too.

The pity is that it seems apparent that most 1911's aren't even test-fired at the factory. I've seen enough guns choke on the very first mag to be quite certain of this.

·
Banned
256 Posts
No gun should be "trusted" out of the box. Other than that, what can I say? All the handguns I own are 1911s, and one is cocked and locked on the nightstand. I guess I trust them.

There are other types I would trust as well, notably the Sig 220. I just happen to prefer the 1911.

·
Registered
414 Posts
When pressed to name an "ideal" or "most trustworthy" firearm for HD or CCW a significant number of us defer to the HK or Glock or some other EuroCombatware.
You left out a substantial group! I love my 1911 and I also have a Glock 17 I'm fond of. But I'm not in the US Army any more and I'm not a cop. For both a house gun and a carry gun, I go back to revolvers. I've never carried an auto in my life with my CCW. Make mine a round gun! (Currently a S&W M296 .44 Special.)

Gregg

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Exactly. The above two posts seem to prove my point. When pressed a healthy percentage of us defer to something other than the 1911. Obviously there is a portion of members who just do not feel comfortable with the 1911 platform as a defensive tool. I am not sure whether that has signifigance or if it's just simple subjective preference. The question is: Is this portion a growing majority? If so, is it due to marketting or simply because there is now something better than the 1911 design?

·
Registered
367 Posts
I think there are multiple trends. It seems to me (from my unscientific observations) that a lot of the population that trusts 1911's will say things like "I've been shooting them for over 30 years" or "a 1911 was my first gun". As opposed to new comers getting into the sport, who seem to be drawn to simple, effective, easy to maintain SIGs/HKs/Berrettas/Glocks (perhaps after their first revolver).

Another trend that I've seen overlapping that one, is shooters who have been in the sport long enough to have mastered their 'euroCombatware' and are bored with it, and are turning towards 1911s for something more interesting. Depending on their experiences and expectations, they will either dive in or jump back out.

My next purchase will be a Commander size 1911 specifically to carry, but I wouldn't do it if it was my only gun, and I won't carry it until it has 1,000 rounds through it. I'll have my P7M8, and I may get a Glock 36, as alernatives while I'm breaking it in and testing it. My hope is that someday I will be primarily owning and carrying one manual of arms, and I would be very happy if that turned out to be C&L/1911... but for me, the guns that prove themselves through my experience will be the ones I rely on.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
True there are many here who may use something else as a defensive firearm. What percentage is that? I don't know. I know there is a large percentage, me included, that trust our 1911s with everything. I trust mine mine completely and use them as my defensive guns. I shoot them, use them, and trust them. If I ever get a bad one or finicky one, it's gone.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
[Another trend that I've seen overlapping that one, is shooters who have been in the sport long enough to have mastered their 'euroCombatware' and are bored with it, and are turning towards 1911s for something more interesting. ]

This sounds like the group I fit into.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,297 Posts
Yeah, I prefer European weapons; when you look at the recent successful combat histories of Germany, Austria, Switzerland . . . uh, never mind.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
It appears that while most everyone here is a solid fan of the 1911 style platform, they only trust it so far. When pressed to name an "ideal" or "most trustworthy" firearm for HD or CCW a significant number of us defer to the HK or Glock or some other EuroCombatware.
Not me.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Perhaps they did not come out of your keyboard, but do you own any products with those names? And do you trust them more than a 1911?

·
Registered
137 Posts
You will probably also find that many of us 1911 fans also wouldn't feel too underarmed in a SHTF situation with an 03 Springfield and a bandoleer full of stipper clipped ammo. We're just odd that way.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts