1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a case of ammo with my new-to-me Kimber and plan to get into reloading once its gone. The problem is, I can't ever seem to get all my brass back at the indoor range I shoot at. I end up spending half my time scrounging around the lanes picking up any 45 case I can find. I've never seen anyone else doing this, and I feel kinda dumb, but I want my brass back. Do any of you have an easier way to snare/retrieve your spent brass? I've read on this forum alot how you never have to buy new brass, but I only get about 60 cases out of 100 back when I go to the range. Is that kind of attrition normal? I feel like tapng a sticker to my butt that reads "Please don't laugh -I'm poor and want to reload."

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Don't feel bad! If I were only getting 60% of my brass back, bet your last dollar you would see my on my hands and knees too! My accepted loss rate is about 2 out of every 100. Any more than that, and I'm screaming "cease fire" at the top of my lungs while I track down the MIA brass.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I seem to only get about 60% back myself. I get what's easy to find, but there comes a point of diminishing returns. If I'm spending a minute or so to find one more I think I've found enough... (-:

Frank

·
Registered
69 Posts
I almost always get all my brass back when I shoot. I look around some for my brass, but that's par for reloaders.

The trick is to pick a lane where someone has shot and doesn't reload, so that their brass is lying around on the ground. Some/many ranges say that anything in your lane is yours to keep. That's how you end up with more brass than rounds fired. You can usually tell if the people next to you don't reload (e.g., they kick the brass away from them). I find that most people don't mind me picking up the brass if I ask them nicely. Heck, I've even had people collect their own brass and give it to me after I politely asked if I could scrounge their brass.

Also, I always try to shoot at the right end lane. Keeps the brass from flying away from me.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
That's the price I need to pay (picking up the brass) for being a reloader. I normally shoot 1-2 mags, depending on the number of shooters at the time, before I pick them up. I also avoid shooting next or close to those who also shoot .45. I think shooting at an outdoor range is much easier for brass pickers like us.

·
Registered
366 Posts
If you have the opportunity to be at the range when they open all lanes should be clean. Then you won't have to wade through current or recent shooters' brass.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the good ideas everyone. I always seem to get to the range around closing time and I always have to filter my brass from all the rest. There was one night where I hit one of those rare gold mines and scored a lane next to a couple of guys who blew through over 500 rounds while I was there and then just packed up and left. As I walked out I was jingling so much it sounded like I was wearing bells. My main problem is the brass likes to richochet out past the line of fire and then I'm stuck staring at a small pile of cases about 4 feet in front of the line that I can't get to. I try to stand a little further back into the booth so I know the brass hits the wall, but that causes those hot-case-down-the-collar incidents we all love so much. I'm just glad I'm not the only one who goes to so much trouble to get the brass back.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Well,
the same problem accurs on outdoor ranges as well. I would get back the infamous 60% also until I bought a plastic tarp. I set the tarp 11'X8' to the right and it catches them all. AFter firing I pull the ends together and they all come rolling down into a pile. If firing indoors of lanes, try to use a smaller tarp, maybe even canvas to keep them from bouncing too much. Just an idea.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Several areas in "gravel pits" on a route we use for shooting. We stop at all the areas and scrounge everything that we can reload -- even sometimes picking up stuff for guns we don't own yet. (Gun nut symptom!)

Another gun nut symptom is $25/hr job and spending 30 minutes looking for one last case.

I shoot about ten rds and then clean up the brass. At the local range they don't care if we scrounge brass from the whole area . . .

45 223 38 are easy to find at ranges.

------------------
What part of "shall not be infringed" needs 'splainin' ???
----------------------------------------------------------------
PowderBurns Black Powder / Muzzle Loader Forum

·
Registered
27,705 Posts
45 may be easy to find at your range but not at mine! People spot them from the parking lot. I shoot around 9-11 mags before I pick up brass but I usually have a large outdoor bay to myself. The tarp won't work from me because I move when I shoot. I always practice moving, ducking behind cover, that sort of stuff. Still, I know how many rounds I shot by counting my MT mags. If I get within 2 or 3 of the total, I give it up.

------------------
"What most of these people need is a good slap upside the head. What I don't need is any more lawsuits." John "The Tooz" Matusak

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I usually manage to gather about 110% as many cases as I shoot because I scrounge around my lane. But there is a side effect. I'm working my way through 1,000 Winchester brass cases I bought, and I'm slowly losing the Winchester brass and gaining a mixed bag of brass and nickel by various manufacturers. Oh, well ....

------------------
If God didn't want us to own guns, why did He make the 1911?

·
Registered
347 Posts
jpwright,
I started just like you, with lots of commerical brass,now it's all mixed , commerical, military, I've even found some military brass that went back to W.W.1! (I saved all that), I guess it does'nt matter as long as it all works.At least you're getting all of yours back!

[This message has been edited by Ralph (edited 08-20-2001).]

·
Registered
316 Posts
45 is hard to come by at the ranges I shoot at. I did have a guy shooting next to me at an indoor range who didn't reload and I got all of his. I always ask if I can pick up other shooters brass if they don't seem to be interested.

9mm is another matter - I can pick up all I want.

I guess I'm ahead buy a bit in terms of getting my 45 brass back.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Helps to stand back as far as you can, safely, from the line. Have to wear a hat, like you said, to keep cases from hitting me in the face, but they're more likely to bounce to where I can pick 'em up.

The make a couple of different brass catchers, on straps to your wrist, from Midway. And there's a plastic one from Bushmaster that snaps onto the pistol, I think. They both cost a lot more than it seems like they should, so I have bought one yet, but if you feel bad scrounging on your hands and knees, it might very well be worth your while to buy one, or make one...

I probably run 60% to 80% at the indoor range. Probably closer to 80% at the outdoor range.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Mark it with a dark marker.Just don't mark on the primer!

You'll be surprised how much easier it is to find when it's marked...After you have a gazillion cases, you can pick and choose which to take when you go to a range that is difficult to "police" up...

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

I Like The Shade Too!

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
I manage to scrounge up lots of brass... I end up with 2 big side pockets on my range bag full...

Sometimes, after a day of shooting nothing but 9, I come home with a bag full of brass and I don't pick up any 9mm
I end up with a pocket of two of 45 brass, and figure it makes up for some of the brass I lose over the front when I am shooting the 45.

On the indoor lanes, I usually shoot one, or two mags, and stop, take a break, and police my brass. I will sometimes have a shooting partner catching brass while I shoot, and vice-versa. One range in particular sells mostly Federal AE for the rentals and those who don't bring their own, and often, there's a bunch left when they leave, so most of my brass is Federal, though the other range offer's Speer & PMC, and I am beginning to see a lot of that too.

A tip for indoor ranges.... Stand back a bit. I found when shooting at either of the indoor's around here, when you stand at the line, your brass often hits the partition, and bounces forward, into the lane, where you can't get them. By standing back, everything usually clears the partition, and ends up on the floor behind or to the side of me. Makes it easier.

Outdoor's can be harder, just depends... I usually accept that I will not get much back when I shoot a match, like last weekend, though I managed to do pretty well during the mid-day break, shortly before the stages were reset for the afternoon runs...

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Oh, and FWIW, i have seen the Brass Catcher bag's that you strap on your hand, kinda like a net, and they seem to work pretty good, if you were so inclined.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Originally posted by Genghis:
Another gun nut symptom is $25/hr job and spending 30 minutes looking for one last case.
I know, just last week I went shooting with some friends who don't reload and I was nick named "Brass [email protected]#"

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I can't say I want to hang a net off of my hand when I'm shooting. That's gotta affect stance, etc. I am thinking about trying to rig a net along the lane, though. Maybe something like a trash bag sloping down into my range bag or something. It'll look pretty dumb I'm sure, but at least its not me inviting looks at my less than tanned and toned buttocks. We'll have to see. Thanks again for all the great ideas guys.

·
Registered
558 Posts
They make a brass catcher that goes on the side of your gun, I think it sells for about 18 dollars. I dont think I would like a net hanging on the side of my gun though.

------------------
Kevin

1 - 20 of 28 Posts