1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK. I saw several brand new Wilson combat pistols at a gunshow this past weekend. There was a stainless Protector and a Classic Master Grade and a Sentinel and a few more. Well, I wasn't impressed. The front sight dovetail is not radiused to match the slide, which leaves kinda sharp "wings" sticking out. The other thing I noticed, is that I could see the cuts on the rear of the frame where it met the top of the beavertail. These cuts were not fresh, like it had just been done, but were still visible beneath the Armor Tuff finish. There were Baers and Kimbers there too, and the Baer especially had a perfectly smooth transition between frame and beavertail.

Am I too picky? I just think that for $1700 and up, you should see more attention to these little aesthetics. I mean, I am sure that Wilson's are good guns, and perform well and are reliable, but for that price, I want everything perfect.

Did I just see some poor examples or are all Wilsons like this?

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
You are correct about the front sights. I never noticed it before. I guess I wasn't really looking. I don't know about the marks on the frame you are talking about, since neither of my Wilsons have them. Perhaps you saw a couple of poor examples.

Tom

·
Super Moderator
1,879 Posts
GrandmasterB

I retail the Wilson's, Baer's, and any other custom 1911 I can lay my hands on. Over the past several years I have had about 450 of them pass through my hands.

I only say this as a reference not as any type of authority. I have just seen a lot of them.

For the attention to detail you are looking for at the $1700 range you will have to go to a one-man or other type of small operation to get that much time spent in a gun.

I have seen the attention to detail you seem to demand in the $2300 plus range.

If you set a Kimber from the Kimber Custom shop, Baer, Wilson, and Lets say a Mark Morris side by side and examine each and every feature you can see the difference. You will pay a diference also in either time, money, features, resale (I know everyone keeps their guns forever but if they did gun stores/show would be no more), and customer support.

So far from customer feed back the extremely cost conscious types "best pricers" will search high and low for the perfect gun (usually the cheapest but not the best value or what they really want) and then trade it off and continue the quest. I get a lot of trade offers. There is only one shop I know who warrants a "preowned" gun.

Each has advantages and disadvantages.

Which is better, I won't even try to answer that as the buyer determines that by getting what he/she wants.

Be safe and keep the brass flying

Terry Peters
http://www.pt-partners.com

Reactions: Retired AF CE

·
Super Moderator
1,879 Posts
GrandmasterB
Here is a little follow up to your sight question. Previously Wilson was not tapering the sights.

I just got a shipment of seven guns in all of the Wilson price ranges from KZ-45 at $1000 to a Tactical Elite at $2850 all had the sights tapered. Appearently Wilson listened to customer comments and now tapers.

I can email picture but I am not computer savy enough to post it here. If one of you "computer experts" knows how let me know.

I can email you the photo's

Terry Peters
http://www.pt-partners.com

I looked at

·
Super Moderator
1,879 Posts
GrandmasterB

I emailed you two JPEG's of the sights.

Terry Peters

·
Super Moderator
1,879 Posts
GrandmasterB

Tried to email you and for some reason I got the message but as undeliverable

You may want to check the address you have posted and I will check my system

Terry Peters

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Terry,

Thanks for the posts. Not sure what was wrong with my email, but I sure would appreciate those photos, so if you can try again, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks again!

-Byron

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Son & Terry,

Thanks for the teamwork in getting these pics posted! Glad to see that Wilson has responded to customer requests like this, and I truly appreciate the helpfullness of this forum!

-Byron

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
He does have some fine looking hands!

Hey Terry, is that a CQB Compact that you're holding? I'm curious because the one I have has the black barrel, and that one isn't. Thanks!

Tom

·
Super Moderator
1,879 Posts
Yes sir on the CQB Compact. It was a prepaid order and the customer was kind enougth to let me use it for the pic.s

Terry

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Im glad to see the wilsons now having the front sight installed better. Ive seen a few and what always detracts me is the grip safety fit.

Terry, in all due respect i know you dont have to spend anywhere near $2300 to reach the level of quality that GrandmasterB is searching.

Ive got a total of $1,700+/- in my Vickers gun, including the base pistol. Workmanship is as flawless as humanly possible, cant find any flaw at all, and I look at them HARD.

Im having him build another, slightly "higher end" gun, and will still have less than $2,200 in it, and it is full house+.

Dave Stagg builds some exquisite peices that are very affordable.

Not to detract from Wilson, Bear, Rock River, or any other semi production customs, but there is much more out there to pick from. Having a one on one relationship with your pistolsmith is a very valuable condition in having work done.

------------------
" You should not copy others, but use weapons which you can handle properly" Ibid

http://www.lameyknives.com

·
Super Moderator
1,879 Posts
RMLamey

You are right about not always having to spend that much to get exactly what you want but then you get into the other series of posts of finding what you have correctly called the "relationship with your gunsmith" which also may not consider a couple of factors (service, reputation, resale and how long and how much did you spend searching for the custom gun at the price you want to spend).

If you have one (gunsmith) take care of him/her as they are a vanishing breed and you are very, very fortunate.

You will read multitudes of posts on how many buyers did not get anywhere near what they want and paid plenty for it from local small gunsmiths and some large shops.

The additional cost does keep a shop in business and again the reputation and service of the shop is worth something.

If you have a gunsmith like we do here locally who is worth every cent he charges. (Example is Ken Crawley in a small town here in South east Texas, Seven Points 903 498 5702.) Keep him in business as the "best pricer's" are the one who will put him out of business.

I know you have seen this before. Good one man repair facilities going, going, and now gone.

Sounds like you have a good shop to recommend. Who is he and where because those of us who are serious about the 1911 need to keep him in business.

Be safe and keep the brass flying

Terry Peters

·
Registered
394 Posts
It is funny I found this post today because this morning I sent my slide back to Wilson to have the front sight contoured to match the slide. That was very stupid to not contour the sight. Mine pulled leather every time it exited the holster.

I will post an update when the slide gets back in a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Damn, this is a dead forum. Sent the gun on Monday had it back on Friday. I was pleased with the outcome and all I had to pay was shipping to them which was about $4 with insurance.

[This message has been edited by AUG (edited 08-11-2000).]

1 - 20 of 26 Posts