1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Or do most of the people posting gun videos, reviews, demos, etc. sound like buffoons?

VR,
Harold

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
225 Posts
Well I wouldn't call them buffoons. They are not professional speakers or performers. I think they might be nervous knowing their video or whatever will be seen by many. So I cut them some slack most are regular run of the mill people. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
11,634 Posts
I wouldn't say "most of them", but there are a lot of them out there.

I've had a growing interest in a couple of Beretta polymer pistols over the past few years, the PX4 and the APX, and I've tried watch as many videos of both that I could find.

Watching folks field strip these two guns has been quite interesting.

The PX4 has take down lever's like a Glock, but you don't have to take the slide out of battery to actuate them, like you do with the Glock. The number of videos showing folks field strip a PX4 where they take the slide out of battery to pull the take down levers is huge.

Watching some folks field strip the APX is even worse. Most seem to want to lock the slide back to push the take down button and rotate the take down lever, and some try to pull the trigger and push the button and rotate the lever at the same time. It makes it look like you need three hands to field strip the gun.

It's like some of these folks don't even read the owners manual, or even watch a video from somebody that knows what they're doing, before making their video.

·
Administrator
71,901 Posts
When you have social media sites where anyone can post a video online what do you expect? Some, like Ian McCollum and Tim @ Military Arms Channel sound like polished professionals. Others sound like some idiot hillbilly who only just learned how to operate a digital camera. Still others try to sound like they've served ten tours each in Iraq and Afghanistan and trained with every single special forces team in the world and personally killed over a hundred elite enemy warriors (many by hand), and that everybody but them is WRONG. They all have equal right to post their videos however. Just stick with the guys you know who are good or those who people recommend.

My personal favorites:

Forgotten Weapons/InRangeTV
TFB TV (only the ones with James Reeves... the other guys are so monotone in their delivery they put me to sleep)
Military Arms Channel
Sootch00
Hickok45
Paul Harrell
Garand Thumb
Pat McNamara
Iraqveteran8888
MrGunsnGear
22 Plinkster
Larry Vickers Channel
anything with Ken Hackathorn
...and of course, Jerry Miculek himself.

I used to like Tnoutdoors9 and his ammo reviews, but he stopped making them. I also liked Gunblast, but sadly we just lost Jeff Quinn. Nutnfancy would be okay if he didn't spend an entire 40 minutes just rambling on and never getting to the point. Demolition Ranch can be fun to watch at times, but many of his videos are just plain silly.

And I won't get into Yankee Marshall or James Yeager, two of the biggest goons on YouTube.

·
Registered
148 Posts
The are some that do pretty well with their videos. Hickok45, MrGunsngear, Iraqveteran8888, Paul Harrell, 22 Plinkster, Twang and Bang, Honest Outlaw. For the latest 2A news, Gunsngadgets.

For non gun related stuff, do yourself a favor and subscribe to Project Farm. Outstanding stuff.

There are far more bad ones than good ones tho, heh.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I like Hickok 45, he seems to have little bias and says when he is biased. "Time to smoke some pot". I love when he says that.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I forget the name of the "law" but there's a law that states that 80% of everything is crap.

Basically, DSK up there already named the best of the best, gun-wise.

For cars, there's the Three Stooges: Hamster, Slow and Jezza -- Top Gear (before Jezza got fired by the BBC) or The Grand Tour, which is Top Gear Brought to you by Amazon (and no censors.)

It's never been any different. What I do miss is Cooper, Jordan, Skelton, Keith. Those were the gun writers I grew up reading, and their wisdom is *sorely* missed.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
I hate 2 types of videos... the "review" that includes unboxing a product they have not yet used. And secondly, when they are totally unprepared and trying to ad lib the thing off the cuff. At least think about a few points to make it worth while. :dope:

·
Administrator
71,901 Posts
I hate 2 types of videos... the "review" that includes unboxing a product they have not yet used.
Better yet, a 30-minute unboxing video where the first 25 minutes is showing us the outside of the box, the inside of the box, the foam sleeve, the manual, the warranty card, the trigger lock, the cleaning brush, the mag loader, the "join the NRA" card, and the receipt showing us how much he paid... oh and at the last second finally showing us the actual pistol. :mad:

Boge, I've been aware of C&Rsenal for some time but I never watch his videos. It's not his fault, but his deep nasally voice drives me nuts so I can't listen. Also, I would prefer shooting demonstrations of the various firearms by a male actor dressed in period clothing, not some small young lady who can barely even hang onto them as she fires them. And yes I know I'm probably the only one who feels this way, since many of the viewers tune in just to watch her shoot.

·
Registered
351 Posts
It's not just firearms.

Pick something else you have an interest in and look at a few videos on that subject. You'll see the same things, relative to the subject, and worse.

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
I'll watch long videos if they're good, but if I click on a video that says it's a review of something, and the intro is longer than 30-60 seconds, I'll start scrubbing the video along and watching the frame. If I'm still looking at this guy's ugly face several minutes into the video I'll just go watch something else. If you advertise a video as being about a gun, I want to see the gun, not your face talking for the first 10 minutes. Change "gun" for any other subject and it's the same.

·
Premium Member
2,084 Posts
Hickok45 just looks like a guy I wanna go have a beer with and talk about the love of (everything) guns for a few hours.

He does a great job, and its a CRIME that YouTube demonetized firearm-related videos. Based on the number of views of his videos and the YT monitization algorithm...even AFTER YouTube took their 45% cut he would be earning over $400,000 a year.

There are teenage girls doing makeup and dating videos making 7-figures on YT...but mention (or show) a gun in a video and F-U, buddy...no money for you.

·
Premium Member
2,907 Posts
It’s not just social media posting. The network news folks mispronounce words and worse, make up or invent words. It’s bad enough they can’t get it right, they can’t get it wrong properly.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Occasionally I enjoy some high brow buffoonery. For that, there are none better than Demolition Ranch and Mat Best.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I like Hickok45!
Me too Frank. He's great. I appreciate his willingness to run classic vintage firearms through their paces. Beats seeing such guns tied up in the cold clammy hands of collectors.

I also like HRFunk whom I've come to know through the internet. We're both on a small private forum.
https://www.youtube.com/user/hrfunk/videos?app=desktop
Howard produces some good thoughtful gun stuff and is a great guy to boot.

Though I can love me some good ol' Led Zeppelin or similar cranked up loud on the stereo I have a dim view of firearms videos having overwhelming Armegeddon background music of some sort and won't stay tuned to one that does for long enough to absorb the topic. If the language is too salty and appears to be obviously contrived to the point of attempting to "look tough" I'll tune out as well. I'm so opinionated about guns that I disgust myself, but won't listen to bombastic opinion that runs contrary to my own or runs down my favorites. I need to be "shown" why Glocks for instance are superior to my beloved 1911s. The bombastic crowd fails to "show" anything, but only spout forth.

·
Premium Member
5,289 Posts
I forget the name of the "law" but there's a law that states that 80% of everything is crap.
80% sounds low.

ETA: Sturgeon's law (or Sturgeon's revelation), is an adage that
states that "ninety percent of everything is crap."
The adage was coined by Theodore Sturgeon,
an American science fiction author and critic.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts