1911Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Administrator
71,901 Posts
Me too Frank. He's great. I appreciate his willingness to run classic vintage firearms through their paces. Beats seeing such guns tied up in the cold clammy hands of collectors.
When Hickok45 posted a video of an unfired pre-Series 70 Colt Government I watched it with eager anticipation, since those are among my favorite guns. By the end of the video he'd not only fired it, but he'd put visible marks on it from the way he handled it. His gun, yes, but the inner collector in me was bawling my eyes out.

I also like HRFunk whom I've got to know through the internet. We're both on a small private forum.
https://www.youtube.com/user/hrfunk/videos?app=desktop
Howard produces some good thoughtful gun stuff and is a great guy to boot.
I don't watch his videos often, but I did like the few I saw. I was pretty impressed that he was able to lose all that weight by himself and is now in pretty trim form again. Now I need to do something similar.

·
Registered
548 Posts
"By the end of the video he'd not only fired it, but he'd put visible marks on it from the way he handled it."

Eeeoow ... that would have been tough to watch and he's one of my favorites.

·
Registered
21,674 Posts
I like LuckyGunner.
Why?
They print a transcript I can read and look at the stills and not have to listen to a rambling monologue.

·
Premium Member
5,289 Posts
I like LuckyGunner.
Why?
They print a transcript I can read and look at the stills and not have to listen to a rambling monologue.
If all someone has is a verbal sales pitch I generally do not watch and would disregard what they say.
Verbal pitches are the home of hucksters and flim-flam men.

Not worth the time unless they are comedians telling jokes.

·
Administrator
71,901 Posts
Actually I like Luckygunner as well. Yes they sell ammo but their videos aren't a sales pitch. At least not any of the ones I've seen.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I kind of like this guy, esquad 540. He reminds me of my Uncle. Mostly covers old/used firearms he either owns or borrows.
Plus he shoots and talks.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have a few must watch channels, most of which have been mentioned, but I confess that every couple of months I have to check on Weapons Education for an unitentional laugh/ cringe. Once in a while I will comment on a vid imploring him to PLEASE, do not be on our side.

·
Premium Member
5,282 Posts
Most people posting videos sound like buffoons. They talk too much because they are trying to build suspense, by telling you what they re going to show you. This, instead of leading with the "money shot", and narrating over the action to explain it.

I like Hickok45 and MAC's videos. They seem too long, but are enjoyable and informative non the less.

Paul Harrel thinks he talks too much, but is actually very skilled at using words to convey his message. He also is doing more than evaluate guns or ammo, or just having fun. He tries to be more objective and logical.

Sample some of these videos:

https://www.youtube.com/c/PaulHarrell/videos

https://www.youtube.com/c/Militaryarmschannel/videos

https://www.youtube.com/user/hickok45/videos

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
Any (all?) of them that start with
"WHATZ UP YOUTUBE?" will have . . very . . little of consequence/use.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I like James Reeves (TFB TV) because he is so unapologetic. Hickock45 is so informed and the Gun Buddy we all wish we had. And Jerry Miculek is so ordinary and inoffensive that you overlook the fact that if he played in any other professional sport he'd be one of te top three players in whatever.

Occasionally, I'll try and watch Yankee Marshall and all I can think is Thank Christ he's not one of my neighbors!

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
There is no shortage of fools giving bad advice online. Ugh.
NicTaylor00 really gave me confidence to improve my 1911s.

·
Premium Member
7,670 Posts
I like most mentioned but also like Kentucky Ballistics “nobody likes eggplants!”

·
Administrator
71,901 Posts
Any (all?) of them that start with
"WHATZ UP YOUTUBE?" will have . . very . . little of consequence/use.
Whenever I click on a video, if that's the first thing I hear I immediately click it off! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
12,867 Posts
Back before the 'Web if you wanted to disseminate information to the public it was, for the most part, vetted by editors. Publications had a reputation to uphold.

Total hogwash was limited to home-made posters, rumors, and handing of leaflets. Maybe a letter-to-the-editor if said editor was willing to publish it.

But NOW has been fully democratized. Even children post YouTube videos. So yes, there's going to be a lotta poop thrown about.

Plus, I think that due to the very nature of super-serious folks, many are not interested in becoming YouTube personalities. They just want to strive for perfection in their craft. Not wasting their time shooting / posting vids.

So I think it's natural that few of the very best & most knowledgeable experts aren't messing around with getting "likes" Heck, I bet that many of these Old School Masters of their art are probably of a generation that's not computer/social media savvy anyhow.

So yeah, this makes sense.

·
Administrator
71,901 Posts
What gets me is the decline in the level of professional journalism these days. Since everybody posts stories to news websites instead of putting it in print it seems nobody has an actual editor to correct mistakes anymore.

YouTube was originally conceived to give ordinary people a voice and the ability to post their own personally-made videos online, hence the name "You Tube". Unfortunately it was bought out by corporate interests and now there is a lot of regulation regarding who can post what on there now. And too much of it relies on corporate advertisers now. Of course the gun channels have been de-monetized, and now I can't even watch anybody without having to put up with a several-minute long sales pitch for a new video game or home security system.

·
Registered
751 Posts
What gets me is the decline in the level of professional journalism these days. Since everybody posts stories to news websites instead of putting it in print it seems nobody has an actual editor to correct mistakes anymore.

YouTube was originally conceived to give ordinary people a voice and the ability to post their own personally-made videos online, hence the name "You Tube". Unfortunately it was bought out by corporate interests and now there is a lot of regulation regarding who can post what on there now. And too much of it relies on corporate advertisers now. Of course the gun channels have been de-monetized, and now I can't even watch anybody without having to put up with a several-minute long sales pitch for a new video game or home security system.
Corporate takeover is the same thing that ruined old-school journalism.

1980, CNN appears. During the ensuring decades, NBC, CBS and ABC were all snapped up by large mega corporations such as GE, Disney and others of that size and weight. Those corporations started telling the news rooms what to say, and how to say it.

From the 1990's on down to now, it's been nothing but a huge death spiral.

I knew, 20 years ago when I started on the internet, that this too would happen to it. And it has. Today only a few control the message in the internet.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
I forget the name of the "law" but there's a law that states that 80% of everything is crap.

Pareto law of distribution. In EVERYTHING, the top 10% accomplishes 90% of whatever you're looking at.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
I have found some real professionals on YouTube that are very knowledgeable, but I know I'm in trouble when the video starts off with "What's Up YouTube".

21 - 40 of 40 Posts