1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone give me a reasonable figure I could expect to pay to have an ambi safety installed on a Kimber Pro Carry? My father is left handed and is thinking about a 1911 if he can adapt one to him. Any suggestions from lefties would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,395 Posts
Including the $50-$60 safety; right, Mike?

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm left handed, and have gotten used to using the right handed safety with my finger. It didn't take that much to get used to it. I don't know that an ambi safety would buy you more than a few days of practice.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,395 Posts
When are you applying your finger to the safety? There's no way I could grab my holstered gun with a firing grip, then draw, shift my grip to allow my finger to reach the safety, then reacquire the grip and get off a quick, accurate shot. Are you flipping the safety off before the draw? After the sights are aligned?

·
Registered
109 Posts
I don't quite get why these are so necessary.
Do people ever where their pistol on the wrong side, just to tempt fate?
Seems the use of practicing weak-side is in a strong-side-wounded state.
In this scenario, either you've already drawn your weapon (and the safety is likely off), or it's all the way on the other side of your body.

Please explain.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I payed $100 for the last one I put on, it was a Kings. Expect to pay more for Swensons thumb shield safties(not needed unless your thumb rubs the slide during firing).

·
Registered
645 Posts
younggun -

Obviously you are not Left Handed or you would get why this question was even posted in the first place. As a left hander the only way to get the safety off is to switch it off with your left hand while the gun is still in the holster (bad idea), or use your right thumb across the back of the slide (another bad idea). For us it is a matter of necessity.

MadDog

·
Registered
645 Posts
Brucelee3cr -

I installed one on my Officers model with no problems. I purchased a Chip McCormack ambi-tactical safety for $24.95 at my local gun shop. Fitting took about an hour with a dremmel tool which was needed to reduce the internal cam that blocks the trigger bow.

If you can completely strip your 45 and have a basic understanding how the thumb safety, grip safety, trigger, sear, disconnector & hammer work in relation to each other, you should have no problems. It might even take less time to install but I hadn't done one in the last 10 years and wanted to make sure the job was perfect.

MadDog

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
...To tell the truth...The safety is NOT a place you want to practice your first kitchen table experience...On the other hand, if you've doone some work and are familiar with it, it's not too much of a bear. If not...Find a good 1911 plumber BEFORE you start on it, if you run into ANY trouble, get together with your new "friend" and make sure you have a safe pistol...

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

I Like The Shade Too!

·
Registered
109 Posts
MadDog, "Obviously you are not Left Handed or you would get why this question was even posted in the first place."

Well, I'm not left-handed, and I sure hope this works out for Brucelee3r's pop.
(and wish there were more true southpaw pistols in the world.)

I just mean in general.
It seems an ambi safety is on a lot of folks' list of upgrades, and I'm just wondering why.
I'm sure they're not all lefties.

·
Registered
474 Posts
As a lefty I can tell you from experience that you will be comfortable with whatever you get used to. My first 1911 came with a standard safety only as did the ones I shot in the military. I learned with these guns and after putting thousands of rounds downrange it has been imprinted. A couple of years ago I bought a 1911 with an ambi safety and I can honestly say that I rarely use it. Usually, I forget it's even there. Just my 2 cents worth.

------------------

1 - 13 of 13 Posts