1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question for the snake pit gang...

I seem to remember a post from a couple of months back where someone had a problem with their ambi safety on their Ed Brown. Either it came loose or had difficulty disengaging or was squishy or something. Now that AZ has me converted to Stainless, this is the last decision (I think!) You guys with the ambi safety... Are you happy with them???

Many thanks,

B

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'm happy with the ambi's on both my Ed Brown's but I have little choice being a leftie. That said my preference is for the slim "Brown ambi and if you keep a tiny drop of lube on the plunger/stock side saftey ramp the ambi's work just fine. I use Hoppe's Fluid Grease. If not properly fit or lubed it is easy to understand why the leftie side could spread the pivot and get sloppy. If you shoot right hand then the ambi is personal preference but I wouldn't hesitate to get a slim ambi...................HTH's Larry

·
Registered
562 Posts
I have the tactical ambi on my Kobra and love it. The smith that installed it for me did a great job - it 'snicks' when it goes down and its a little soft going up. Wouldn't have it any other way! :D

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
You guys with the ambi safety... Are you happy with them???
Not really!

I don't like ambi's at all and I don't like extended ones either.

I think they are a weak design in general and if not left handed why do you really need it?

Think about it and how they are designed. You are replacing a full length pivot pin with one that is spit into 2 parts in a spot that really needs a full length pivot pin. Anyway, A lot of guys like'em and I understand that.

btw, I also prefer chrome moly steel alloy over stainless! I think its better more durable material.

·
Registered
42 Posts
B.

I have the stock ambi-safety on the Kobra. I am left handed.

To answer your question, I seem to have no problems with it. As a side note, I only use it for the range and not carry. I have run appx 600 rounds through it and it has not failed in any way at all.

have a good weekend, larry

·
Registered
809 Posts
I don't have my Kobra yet--I imagine I have 2 1/2 months left. But in my opinion the ambi-safety on any gun is just one step closer to a Ruger, and I don't like that look.

$.02 Theo :)

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I usually like GI-style thumb safeties (Colt commercial style, with the full "shelf" rather than the WWII ones with the little nub) over extended safeties, but if I had to choose, I might go with one of Ed's tactical safeties (1/8" thinner). I usually like like left-side only as well.

Andy

·
Registered
562 Posts
more likely to be switched off accidentally.
I humbly disagree - I've ALWAYS had ambi's (13 years CCW) and have NEVER had one come off accidentally. This includies IWB, OWB, and shoulder carry.

There are some threads on here that discuss the tactical merits of having an ambi safety which I believe (though I hope to never test it).

IMHO I also think it gives the gun a more symetrical look rather than the three ugly pins on the right side.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Hey, I like dem dar pins! You know what opinions are like.

:biglaugh:

Theo

·
Registered
171 Posts
It appears that their are two sides to the ambi/single safety issue. I really doubt that the ambi crowd will win over a convert and vice versa. To me, ambi's are ugly and they look like putting training wheels on a bike- but then I'm right handed. I don't want anything on the gun that doesn't 'have' to be there.

To other's they look at the right side of a gun that does not have a thumb safety and feel it looks incomplete. Operationally I can release and engage the single-sided safety easily with my left hand so in the unfortunate event that my right arm/hand was incapacitated I would be able to shoot my gun.

I say go with whatever floats your boat.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Cacique500 said:
I humbly disagree - I've ALWAYS had ambi's (13 years CCW) and have NEVER had one come off accidentally. This includies IWB, OWB, and shoulder carry.

There are some threads on here that discuss the tactical merits of having an ambi safety which I believe (though I hope to never test it).

IMHO I also think it gives the gun a more symetrical look rather than the three ugly pins on the right side.
Most of my 1911s have the single, but one has the ambi. I always wondered about what people said about the ambi causing an accidental switch off of the safety, and then it happened to me (and I was using a high quality IWB at the time). I was a convert immediately to the single safety side of this debate. Naturally, if you are a lefty, you have little choice.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts