1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What techniques do you use to remove the off-side lever? I try to slip a slim knife blade under the lever, and carefully pry it up, but usually end up with some slippage that leaves marks on the frame; any fool-proof way to get the lever off without wearing or scratching the frame?

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Rick,

I usually have no problem simply grasping the safety and wiggling it up and out.

I have used vice-grips on really tough ones however. CARDBOARD OR LEATHER SHIMS OF COURSE !!!

·
Registered
713 Posts
Rick,
If your ambi is stainless bevel the top surface enough to get your blade between the frame and ambi w/o having to force the blade down...or,
Take a small pointed square file and make a vertical groove just in front of the ambi shaft on the ambi that a thin pointed instrument will fit down into the groove. That will pop it loose.
Also adjust the groove in the saftey shaft for a slightly looser fit...it isn't going anywhere with the right side grip in place and that will help to avoid the marring

[This message has been edited by bjg-1911 (edited 11-20-2001).]

·
Registered
645 Posts
RickB -

I take a small flat bladed screwdriver and wrap the blade with masking tape so as to not scratch my gun's finish. I then pry the right side safety lever just enough to see light between the frame and lever.

Here is the good part. I take my custom made ambi-safety removal tool (old used credit card) and slide it between the frame and lever. Grab both ends of the old credit card and gently pull until the lever comes off far enough to get your fingers under it a pull off the rest of the way by hand.

It works for me every time without scratching the finish, and should work for you.

MadDog

1 - 5 of 5 Posts