1911Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got the Wilson video on detail stripping the 1911 (and still working up the courage to actually do it...) but the video did not mention how to remove an ambi safety.

Could somebody lay out the details for me? Is it a matter of just pulling the two pieces apart?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Yes, it is. You'll pull the right side off first. Be careful because some are held in by a lever underneath the grip and some are held in by a notch and pin. One look will reveal it to you.

Bob

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply Bob...its an Ed Brown tactical ambi and I'll take a closer look at it tomorrow - pretty sure it was just the lever beneath the grip type. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
20,440 Posts
500...That's the easy part. Wait till you put it back together! ;)

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thus the statement "still working up the courage to actually do it" :D

And it WONT be on the Kobra that's for sure ... may have to go buy a sacrificial Springfield Milspec or something :biglaugh:

·
Registered
356 Posts
Hopefully after you get it back together you won't have any parts laying on your bench... Just kidding. I used to be scared to death to disassemble guns now after 20 plus years No problem

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Don't let 'em scare you 500. J.M. Browning designed the 1911 so that a 17 year old farm boy could take it apart and put it back together with no tools...in the dark...so I'm sure you'll have no problem with it. Just be sure and put the left leaf of the sear spring on top of the sear's leg instead of underneath it. And assemble the sear and disconnector as unit and use a toothpick, nail, drill rod, or something to line up the holes in them with the frame hole and you've got it whipped.

Bob

1 - 8 of 8 Posts