1911Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The ambi safety on my Kimber CDP failed yesterday the right side snapped at the pivot point.
while at the range.
My ? is will a steel safety ie (Wilson/Brown) damage the aluminum frame?
Being a lefty a really want that ambi safety on my carry gun:D

·
Registered
14,121 Posts
Should be fine. An aluminum frame suffers far more stress from the normal firing/cycling of the gun than from operation of the ambi safety. Wilson and Brown are excellent choices. I’m primarily a Wilson customer, with at least five (I’d have to count) of Wilson’s machined from bar stock ambi safeties. Part of original build.

As to buying a stand-alone ambi safety, one not fitted by the manufacturer, I’ve seen percentage-wise — based on Forum posts — probably greater satisfaction among buyers of the Ed Brown ambi safety…due to reports of it arriving in a more “finished” condition. But both will likely require skilled fitting in any event.

Once you get that fitting and finishing completed, you won’t have to worry about the safety ever again, with either the Wilson or Ed Brown product.

Wilson does offer service enhancement work on other 1911s. So if you wanted more than just the stand alone ambi safety, that might be the way to go. Otherwise, you might go with the Ed Brown product. It’s a close call, but both are rock solid products.

·
Registered
16,301 Posts
"both will likely need skilled fitting in any event" - Words of Truth. Being ex military I really feel bad for the lefties. Really. My Drill Instructor wanted to drill them to Death because they fouled up his Drill.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The ambi safety on my Kimber CDP failed yesterday the right side snapped at the pivot point.
while at the range.
My ? is will a steel safety ie (Wilson/Brown) damage the aluminum frame?
Being a lefty a really want that ambi safety on my carry gun:D
Thanks guys I appreciate the help. I had a lt Wt Commander in the 70s (totally tricked out by Kings Gun Works in L.A. so sorry I sold it a real shooter) that had a large # rounds through
it and the aluminum frame was still good though can't remember if I installed steel ambi or not-getting old I guess.
Thanks again
Keep shootin'

·
Registered
6,093 Posts
As a fellow lefty I'd recommend Wilson Bulletproof ambi for hard use or EDC.

These (along with EGW HD Ambi and the Brown) are probably the only ones that are actually capable of hard use where the right side paddle is used as the primary. (IMO) I'm running Wilson's at the moment on most of my guns.

Neither are any harder on an aluminum frame than any other safety. All 3 are expensive but in Ambi's there are no good, cheap ones.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As a fellow lefty I'd recommend Wilson Bulletproof ambi for hard use or EDC.

These (along with EGW HD Ambi and the Brown) are probably the only ones that are actually capable of hard use where the right side paddle is used as the primary. (IMO) I'm running Wilson's at the moment on most of my guns.

Neither are any harder on an aluminum frame than any other safety. All 3 are expensive but in Ambi's there are no good, cheap ones.
Thanks buddy I called Kimber and sent pix and Kailey(service rep) has Kimber repairing it gratis and shipping both ways. Could not ask for better customer service.
If it fails again I'll get either Brown or Wilson-not familiar with EGW. I purchased a Kimber because Brown/Wilson/Baer are out of my $ range and it is a sweet shooter!

·
Registered
6,093 Posts
I purchased a Kimber because Brown/Wilson/Baer are out of my $ range and it is a sweet shooter!
Understood- I just meant the safeties, not the whole gun. I went though a few kimber safeties... went to King's Ambis back in the day and once I finally tried the WIlsom BP I haven't had to change one since. And they are still solid.

I looked up EGW-looks good thanks for the tip!
Yep- the EGW is my next one. I might like them better but since I have 5 or 6 Wilson ambi's at the moment, I kept things the same with the last gun.

Either way, glad you are being taken care of on the warranty side!

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,716 Posts
Wide ambis, like the Brown, EGW, etc., rub on the top of my trigger finger, creating a condition where my finger and thumb are fighting for control of the safety's position; I have to reduce the rear corner of the safety on the left side, so my trigger finger can nestle close to it, without placing upward pressure on the lever.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts