1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a double stack Rock Island Arms 1911 hi-cap 9mm. The width of the frame at the mag release is 1.150", obviously wider than all other 1911 frames. I'm looking for an ambidextrous magazine release for it, but I haven't found such an animal. I've called Rock Island and all the companies I can find who make the after market ambi mag releases for 1911's, but no one knows where I can find one that fits my double stack frame. Can anyone help?

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Old.Sgt.Sniper - To be honest, I've never seen an ambidextrous mag release for any 1911, much less a doublestack! I'm thinking that such an animal would require a frame designed for the device so that might be why. Anything for doublestacks is rare, from grips to pin-sets there just doesn't seem to be a sufficient market for the bigger companies to jump in. When I customized my doublestack TCM I installed the extended mag release (with oversized head) from Gun Craft meant for Para firearms. It fit perfectly and allows my arthritic thumb to reach it even past the Hogue rubber-wrap grips on the gun. Such a modification is the only suggestion I can offer you, sorry.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Old.Sgt.Sniper - Okay, I stand corrected on the subject. However, I'm going to predict that your search for one for a doublestack will probably be fruitless.
That said, I'm going to suggest something for you to think about: take one of these singlestack releases, drill and tap the button (left) side of it and fabricate a screw-in extension with an oversized head to make up the difference. The heads on the oversized mag releases I've installed use such a system to allow the larger head to be installed and such a method would work for your purposes. As I envision it this would allow you the option to release the mag with the rocker mechanism on the right side of the frame with your thumb or with your index finger on the left side using the oversized button. As with any larger mag release, you must make sure that it clears your holsters (in this case on both sides) so that you don't draw an empty gun (it happens!). Okay, that's my suggestion; good luck and please let us see what you come up with!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OldEagleEars - Thanks for that suggestion. It makes sense and would probably work as long as I mill out the flat section to the width of the magazine to give the proper clearance (as seen in the photo of a standard length ambi mag release: http://www.cylinder-slide.com/index.php?app=ccp0&ns=prodshow&ref=CS0121B )

I checked with C&S already and they don't currently produce a longer model for a double stack, but I'll try working with them. They seem to be the logical choice to come up with my solution.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts