1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried this on the Kimber Forum, but there seems to be an incredible wealth of experience here and plenty of LEO members, so I thought I'd bring this to you wise sages. What are thoughts on ambi safeties, STRICTLY for concealed carry gun, no competition with this piece. I have a Kimber Compact CDP and think I want to put a single side safety on it.

The arguments for the ambi safety seem to revolve around weak hand shooting (for us right handers, anyway), but it seems most well-known teachers (Clint Smith, Jeff Cooper, etc) favor single side safties. I know they teach weak hand drill in their schools, and feel the ambi isn't necessary. I'm suspect wiping the safety off with the index finger can be practiced to the point of being fairly effective.

It's interesting the current Gunsite GSP has an ambi safety, but their special edition "Cooper" gund still does not have one. Pretty much every Les Baer comes with one EXCEPT Clint Smith's TRS. Opinions on this appear to be pretty strongly held.

Last question--I would have thought that this would be a drop in part, but I've read that if I want to replace my ambi with, say, a Chip McCormick single side safety, I should have a gunsmith do this. Why? Or why not? Can't I drop a CMC safety in my CDP myself?

Thanks much.

John Collins

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
I do not advocate ambi safeties for carry/self-defense. This is an entirely personal choice, but I have had my ambi-safety wipe off twice. I simply don't like having a safety showing on the exposed side of the gun. Of course, my choice of leather has a lot to do with an ambi's security as well, but I carry in an open top "speed scabbard" style. A good retention holster, or one that has some leather between the left side safety and the body will be molded properly to the safety to prevent it from wiping off.

If you are comfortable carrying ambi, there is no real drawback.

You can fit an ambi safety yourself if you know how to fit the internal safety "lug" to the sear. This is the primary safety in a 1911, therefore it is recommended you take it to a 'smith unless you are sure you know how to fit one safely.

[This message has been edited by shane45-1911 (edited 07-04-2001).]

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I like ambi's on my carry guns, figure I'm carrying a gun just in case, might as well have the off-side safety just in case.
I've only disengaged the safety twice, by walking into a wall while carrying something. I have an open top holster. I do prefer to take the edges/ points off the safety, so it doesn't provide purchase for clothing that might disengage it.
Any safety has to be fit to the gun, and it really depends more on your individual skill and trust in yourself than any particular guideline.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I am pro ambi, never kicked one off yet, two things.

1) Get a real good holster that protects it, its nice piece of mind.

2) Make sure you practice weak hand shooting and safety control. Alot of people get a ambi and never take the time to learn it to a good skill level.

Cheers
Ty

------------------
Visit my 1911 site www.CoolGunSite.com

·
Registered
721 Posts
I agree with Shane. Another thing to keep in mind is that clothing can catch on an ambi if you are carrying in an open top holster. An instructor told me that he yanked his .45 out of the holster and it fell on the floor of a restaraunt when he took his jacket off. The jacket had a mesh lining and it caught on his ambi safety.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts