1911Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about removing the ambidextrous thumb safety for just the plain Jane thumb safety on my CDP. Any pros or cons on such a move? I am nervous that I may disengage the safety while carring it concealed.

[This message has been edited by jamamatic (edited 10-15-2001).]

· Registered
143 Posts
i dont know much about guns - but a nra instructor friend of mine makes a good point when he sayes - you may need to shoot with your weak hand if your good hand get's screwed up when you need it most

· Registered
19 Posts
It's pretty easy to swipe off a single sided safety with the weak hand by swinging your thumb around the beavertail so I wouldn't consider that a big issue.

I switched out my ambi to a single sided when I noticed the joint pins causing the grip safety to bind. The joint on the ambi was flexing a little and would make the grip safety stick in the unsafe position. For that reason alone I'll stick with single sided, not to mention one less part to snag or accidently disengage.

You can still use a high thumb position with the weak hand as long as you have thick enough grips. It's not as comfortable as resting on the safety but I wouldn't be suprised to see a grip specifically designed for this.

[This message has been edited by mtbeer (edited 10-15-2001).]

· Registered
233 Posts
Agree with mtbeer. Easy to make a swipe off with weak hand. As far as the grip position, I think the main reason the high thumb grip came around, was because of the safety. If you're going weak hand, you may be able to hang on a little better by locking your thumb down as on a DA revolver.

· Registered
85 Posts
I plan to do the same thing to my Pro CDP.

As far as having to shoot weak handed, I suppose this is a consideration. However, if my gun is out of its holster, it already has the safety off.

· Registered
130 Posts
I do not like ambi safties on carry pistols. The holsters that I prefer would not cover the right side of the ambi safety and I don't need anything sticking out on the pistol at that point. Anything that can get hung up or cause a snag is a disadvantage on a carry piece, both when you need it and also it can allow the pistol to print a little more. Just my 2c

· Registered
389 Posts
I am left-handed and I do have an ambi-safety on my carry piece. It is a necessity in my case. I have been carrying a 1911 with ambi cocked and locked for over 10 years now and have never had the safety move into the off position on its own.

------------------

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.