1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm pretty sure a lot of you here realize that I just started reloading last week from all my questions I was throwing at you . Well, here's another. Is it my imagination, or is the American Ammunition brass unreloadable? I can use the standard three dies with it, but when I use the factory crimp die, it loosens up around the seated bullet. And the primer feel like it will press in with your thumb. I reloaded a couple the first time, and didn't notice this, but I'm now throwing away all the American brass.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
American brass has been cussed and discussed here several times. It's junk.

Actually, you can just hold an American case and something like a Speer or Remington side-by-side in a good light, and you can see how rough and cheap-looking the American case is.

I think you are doing the right thing. The possible problems with American isn't worth the small dollar savings from using it.

------------------
If God didn't want us to own guns, why did He make the 1911?

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Run away as far as you can from American brass. You'll be glad you did.

------------------
Regards,
AZFred

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the tips. Thank God I only bought one box of 50 to try out. So far I think I have weeded out about half of it.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
I throw them away, no matter how shiny they are. Nothing but trouble.

They are an embarrassment, why did they have to choose that name, "American" when they are such crap.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
I picked up a few last week and found that the cases were much thicker than normal (if there's a normal with this crap). Maybe this was done to correct the splitting, as I threw out over 100 someone had left and none were split for a change.

I hope at least a few people keep using them since I use those plastic boxes to store my conical BP bullets that are lubed with really soft lube.

I agree that they could have picked a more appropriate name...Most of what I can think of seems to be unprintable...

·
Registered
769 Posts
A-Merc brass has one useful purpose. Collect it and send it to Headhunter. It's perfect for 400 Corbon reloaders. If you're going to ruin .45 brass it might as well be A-Merc brass. Other than that it's landfill material.

[This message has been edited by Mayonaise (edited 10-31-2001).]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts