1911Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The indoor range I'm forced to use (
) just got in a huge supply of ammo loaded in Miami. (I'm sure there is a joke in there somewhere.) Anyway, I believe the name was American Ammo. They had .38 Special, 9 mm, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP - maybe other calibers, too - all in clear plastic "boxes".

It looks okay and it's fairly inexpensive. Anyone know anything about this stuff?

------------------
If God didn't want us to own guns, why did He make the 1911?

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Did you try a search on it?
I don't think any other ammo has had as many complaints here as "American"...That's on the loaded ammo, the brass, you name it...

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

I Like The Shade Too!

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I couldn't find anything on this company with a search. Maybe I didn't use the right keywords, but American Ammo, any date, doesn't show anything.

What kind of complaints were they? Is this stuff too hot? Inconsistent? Corrosive?

------------------

·
Registered
184 Posts
I actually bought some of this 2 Years ago from Sportmans Guide. It was 9mm but I never had any problem with it. It was a cheap($) round too. I have been looking at the .45 for plinking ammo. Sport. Guide may be able to tell you more about the manufacturer.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Everything...dirty, out of spec brass, weak brass, inconsistent velocity, inconsistent everything...

that about covers it...we're talkin' a lot of complaints...I can't believe you got nothing from the archives!

...I'll try one and see if I can find anything...

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

I Like The Shade Too!

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
gyp_c, I did a search, but not in the archives.

It might not hurt to bring this up again, anyway, because the range where I shoot bought a really large supply of this stuff, so American may be trying to move their product. Others may need to know about these rounds, also.

Tell you what: if you can't even use the brass, that really IS shoddy ammo!

------------------

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
I couldn't find anything either. The archives must be Lost In Space...hopefully temporarily...I seem to remember the names have been changed around and maybe a different host or two...just have to wait and see...

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

I Like The Shade Too!

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I picked up some A-MERC (or whatever the headstamp actually says) spent cases Saturday while I was at the range. Based on your comments, gyp_c, I looked them over and found I could spot them among all the other mixed cases. They aren't smooth; they have a rough, almost pitted surface appearance. So I dumped them.

If it turns out that American Ammunition cases are really okay after all, you owe me 26 cases!

------------------

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Strange that you guys have been having problems with the stuff. I ran 200 rounds through my Champion at my last range trip. Accuracy was comparable to S&B and other ball I've shot. I did have 1 ftf due to slightly short OAL... maybe I just got lucky.

I WILL have to watch out for that stuff though as that's what my local indoor range is selling for "range ammo" as well.

Thanks for the heads up guys!

Mac

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Interesting point you brought up, Maclean3. As I said, my local range laid in a huge supply of this ammo. They seem to be selling a lot for casual shooting. But if you rent one of their guns, they insist you shoot Winclean ammo in it.

------------------

·
Registered
817 Posts
I shot 50 rds. of it yesterday. Not as tight of grouping, but I at least got to pull my trigger and make it go bang 50 times for under $9.00! But if I cannot reload the brass, it will be the last 50 I go bang with!

·
Registered
11 Posts
jp

Amerc.?..HAH !! Don't try to reload it. Sticks bad in expanding dye. Primer Pockets are way too large for "new ammo". Had to use CCI primers, Winchesters almost fell out on "1st. reload". Brass is brittle and splits easily. "Shoot it and leave it lay". Buy CCI Blazers for the same price.
Better Ammo & no reload[alluminum] cases.

·
Registered
25 Posts
i use american eagle ammo, it's made by federal. they shoot good and i use them to reload and i haven't had a problem with them yet.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
S&B is pretty good for practice and you can reload 'em a few times as well...Try the ammoman or cheaper than dirt...

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

I Like The Shade Too!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts