1911Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had been looking at the American Handgunner model for some time down at the LGS, often wondering what a $3K 1911 offers above and beyond a $1K-1.5K factory model. Now I'm going to find out. As this is my initial entry into Baer, I was hoping someone could tell me what the AH model is similar to in the current Baer offerings. The AH model seems to be a fairly standard 5" Govt. with some subtle cosmetic touches. Below is the link to the description:

I know that limited editions are not for everyone, however the AH seems to be done very tastefully, with a modest AH logo, two-tone color scheme that is not gaudy, and a profile of a shooter rather than a collector's item. This will probably be the first and last semi-custom 1911 for me, so I'm happy to have it. Thoughts, advice, opinions, always welcome. Thanks in advance.

One last question ... any reason it came in a cardboard box with no hard shell case or soft gun rug?

thumbnail_IMG_4298.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_4299.jpg

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
You still get the patch, correct? :unsure:

Reactions: colrhino

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
It appears you are getting the hardchrome lower, the front night sight and some additional fitment and quality control attention. I'd find some beautiful wood grips and shoot it until she screams.

I have a Stinger in 9mm, the hard-fit was quickly apparent, the lock up is super tight and it was measurably more accurate than many other 1911's I own.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I can live with the retro look although not my cup of tea. But when I read the initial article in Handgunner I thought to myself who thought those Hideous looking grips were the way to go. I like VZ grips and but the color combination is not what I would select. My Baer SRP came with a gorgeous set of grips. Not sure if Cocobolo or Walnut but they sure are pretty. Pretty enough they have remained unchanged for the last 7 years. Whatever the cosmetics, one thing is certain. It Will Shoot!. .

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I received an email back from LB and learned some things of interest (new to me): There is no limited run of the American Handgunner model, and it continues in production; it is similar to the Premier II; all LB pistols are hand fitted the same way, and all have the same internal parts. The differences are cosmetic ... finishes, sights, safeties, etc.

As for wood grips, I have started searching. As with many parts, higher end custom makers have little to no stock/availability, so something basic should suffice. Suggestions welcome.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I like LB 1911's but I can't look past the American Handgunner Billboard on the slide. AH is one of my favorite magazines, but not on a gun.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I really would like one because I have been reading American Handgunner for seems like forever. I would be happy to have a the billboard on the slide. I already have a PII and a TRS but would be happy to own a third LB. I will have to start me a "go fund me page".

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just ordered a couple of the AH back issues with this Baer on the cover. As for the "billboard" ... different strokes. I have seen stock roll marks on other production guns that practically covered the entire slides. The AH logo doesn't come close, and actually isn't very noticeable when the gun is in hand. I'm happy to have a Baer, no matter what it looks like.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Baer's have slightly different shapes to them, I'd talk with Bob at Cherokee Hills and he'll make you up something brilliant. he did these.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I received an email back from LB and learned some things of interest (new to me): There is no limited run of the American Handgunner model, and it continues in production; it is similar to the Premier II; all LB pistols are hand fitted the same way, and all have the same internal parts. The differences are cosmetic ... finishes, sights, safeties, etc.

As for wood grips, I have started searching. As with many parts, higher end custom makers have little to no stock/availability, so something basic should suffice. Suggestions welcome.
Esmeralda has a great reputation for custom grips, she ain't cheap though. Also you might just give Baer a call and tell them you want to swap out the Blue Vz's for some wood grips. They are nicely checkered and they will fit your pistol..

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
I like LB 1911's but I can't look past the American Handgunner Billboard on the slide. AH is one of my favorite magazines, but not on a gun.
Agree. Ordinarily, I am not a fan of guns ordered with "naked slides" but in this case, I would make an exception.

·
Registered
51 Posts

In case you're still looking for wood grips -
SOLD

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
I am a sucker for the retro two tone look, must be an age thing.
Me Too!!! My 3 Wilson Combat Classics. Top left is my EDC and my 2 back-ups. No two-tone Baer's are sold in California. If I could purchase an American Handgunner Edition I would. I also agree with the above posts that those blue grips would have to go.
Wilson Combat Photo.jpg

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
One of my earliest 1911's is a Colt LW commander I bought in the seventies. APW Cogan reblued the slide and did the alloy frame in electroless nickel. Wish I were smart enough to post pictures.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts